Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Venison Mountain(Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed north to check out some foliage and do a pair of peaks in the Hudson Gorge Wilderness on what was forecast to be a gorgeous early fall day.  My first stop would be a short bushwhack from Northwoods Club Road to 2312 foot Venison Mountain.  I parked in a small pull off along the east side of the road then promptly headed east, quickly dropping to a crossing of Bullhead Pond Brook. An easy rock hop got me across and I was on my way.
The slopes of the mountain are a mixed forest, but mostly very open and easy navigation.  After a steeper push above some small cliff bands, I emerged into a tranquil park like setting of sedge grass and fern glades.
Once above the cliff bands, I began to find some decent views to the west, nicely framed by the foliage.
 Window views to the SW.
 Just below the summit, the woods give way to a wide open meadow and rock slab.
From atop the rock slab(which is not the summit), the views are very good into the surrounding Hudson Gorge Wilderness. 
 South facing views towards nearby Dutton Mountain.
After tagging the true summit, which was fully wooded in spruce, I headed back down the west slopes of the peak, enjoying my stroll through the ferns. 
A nice and easy descent got me back to the car in no time.  A great warm up on a nearly perfect morning.  1.5 miles RT, with over 650 feet of ascent.
My route below.
Black=Ascent   Blue=Descent

No comments:

Post a Comment