Search This Blog

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Pinnacle(Shaker Mountain Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed north to the Shaker Mountain Wild Forest after work today to try to enjoy as much of a beautiful spring day as I could.  I drove to the very end of Pinnacle Road, where the parking lot and trailhead for Chase Lake and County Line Lakes resides, elevation 1580 feet.  My goal today was to hike up and over 2496 foot Pinnacle Mountain. the peak between the two trails.  The contour lines for the mountain look pretty stacked together, meaning it would be a stiff climb, but with potential payoffs.  There were several other cars there when I arrived on this mild Saturday afternoon, but I figured most of them were heading to Chase Lake.  I began my day by heading NW on the County Line Lakes trail, blazed in blue.  Within just a few minutes, the sounds of nearby Pinnacle Creek can be heard. 
 The blue trail follows an old road of sorts, basically following the edge of the creek for a way.  It is a very beautiful creek and made for a very pleasant trail companion. 
After about 9/10 of a mile, I left the trail and began my bushwhack, heading east.  The woods were pretty open, save for some tangled witch hobble. 
After some easy climbing, I arrived at an enormous set of cliffs.  I was absolutely blown away when I saw two other folks out rock climbing here.  They seemed just as surprised to see me, as this spot is pretty far off trail.  I decided to take the more conventional route around the cliffs.
I was hoping that there would be good views atop the cliffs, but all I could really find were small framed views west towards Shaker Mountain and Pigeon Mountain.
As I neared the summit area, I left the hardwoods, and hit a large area of scratchy spruce.  In a couple of sheltered pockets in the spruce I actually found some leftover snow from earlier in the week.
I emerged in an area of open hardwoods once again at the true 2496 foot summit  Unfortunately, there are only through the trees views from here.
Following the steep terrain off the east side of the summit, I spotted a large area of ledges.  With just  a little poking around I managed to find one open spot with a nice view east.
After enjoying the view, I contoured north back up onto the ridge before dropping back down to another open area of ledges.  These ledges were even steeper than the first
The ledge view stretches nearly 180 degrees, taking in Chase Lake and the peaks north of the Great Sacandaga.
I carefully descended the steep slopes just NE of the ledges, before turning SE and heading back towards the Chase Lake Trail.  Near one of the east drainages off of the Pinnacle, I spotted a rusted old bed spring.  An odd find in the middle of nowhere.
 If I had more time I would've gladly made my way over to Chase Lake, but it was getting late so I continued SE towards the trail and my car.  I did find a pretty wetland along the way, shining in the early evening light.
I eventually picked up the trail and followed it out the last 3/4 of a mile.  A nice little adventure on a very pleasant spring afternoon.  Hiked about 5.6 miles RT(part trial-part bushwhack) with 1800 feet of ascent.  Today's route below.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful day to be out! We were a few miles being slightly less ambitious, but away enjoying the day as well. There's actually a heard path off the Chase Lake trail for those ledges. Pretty impressive set of rocks. Too bad you didn't spot the USGS Bench Mark on the top of Pinnacle. It's hard to find, but a neat artifact. I love the view of Chase Lake from those middle ledges, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had found that USGS Bench Mark! To be honest I was kind of rushing due to a late start so my main focus was finding the ledges. A fun little climb though!!

      Delete
  2. Tick Magnet turned me on to your blog. We hiked to Pinnacle summit today for the 10th time maybe? We always have trouble with the thicket near the summit. You hike a lot. That's great! Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Glad you like the blog. Do you do a lot of hiking in that area?

      Delete
    2. Just saw your reply over a year old. I do hike around there a lot: https://hikingnyadirondacks.blogspot.com/

      Thinking of going there tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Hey there, what an awesome back in there! Wish I lived a little closer so I could do even more exploring!

      Delete