Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2024

Squaw Mountain-East Peak(Jessup River Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed up into the central Adirondacks near Indian Lake to do a little off trail exploring of Squaw Mountain's East Peak on a cloudy spring day.  I parked at the corner of Griffin Road and Route 30 (Elevation 1797 feet)and crossed the road heading north into the woods, pausing for a moment to take in the view of 3899 foot Snowy Mountain towering above to the west.

Once in the woods and firmly on state land, I began a gradual ascent through open hardwoods, sporting a new coat of green.


Quickly the climbing became increasingly more challenging through a mixed forest, as I angled my way over to a steep area of ledges.  Although only at 2300 feet elevation I was able to find several good viewpoints down towards Indian Lake and even a sliver of Route 30 heading south.

 

From a slightly higher spot and more open ledge, a broader view of Indian Lake opens up.

Once on the ridge, the ascent is straightforward and fairly easy, soon arriving in a very open area of ledges and sedge grass.

At just under 2800 feet, a very unusual, large grassy clearing provides very good views down to Indian Lake.

From the clearing, continued up to a 2985 foot high spot(not the true summit), which was wooded and surrounded by spruce.

A few steps away from the high spot, I was able to enjoy views north to neighboring Squaw Mountain, easily identifiable by its open rock scar.

A mere ten yards away is a framed view over to nearby Snowy Mountain as well.

Dropping down from the high spot, I headed SW down the ridge, contending with large areas of dead fall and spruce much of the way.

 

Back down below 2700 feet, I finally hit the open ledges that I was aiming for.  From an open ledge, a nice view back at the ridge I had just climbed to the east.

From the nose of the ridge, there are several great views from different open ledges.  Indian Lake and some of its islands as well as ribbon of Route 30 can be seen down below. 

NE views across an open area of nearly vertical rock.
A large swath of Indian Lake is visible from this open ledge.
Unfortunately rain showers began moving in over the south end of Indian Lake, obscuring distant south views.

Across the valley of Beaver Brook to the SW stands Snowy Mountain(far right) and its other lower summits.

With showers quickly moving in, I opted for a quick drop down off the ridge, descending steeply south/ southeast.

 Fungi.


Light rain kept my pace brisk, as I dropped SE all the way back down to my waiting car.  Luckily the intensity of the showers never picked up, as I covered 3.3 miles RT, and 1200 feet of total ascent for the day.

Map below.  Red P=Parking  Black X=Grassy Clearing/ View   Blue X=High Spot    Red X=Open Ledge Views


 


No comments:

Post a Comment