Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Alander Mountain Off Trail Ledges(Taconic State Park-Columbia County, NY)

Decided to do a part trail/ part bushwhack hike to some off trail ledges on the west slopes of Alander Mountain on another picture perfect fall afternoon.  Parked at the designated parking area for Alander Mountain on Under Mountain Road(Elevation 810 feet) and then road walked back a little over 1/10 of a mile back to a marked DEC trail.  Once in the woods, I utilized the Robert Brook Trail to climb steeply to the east. Interestingly, the trail sign is literally being devoured by a tree.

 

The Robert Brook Trail gains elevation quickly and steadily, high above the currently dried up stream bed to the right.

After about 9/10 of a mile and over 900 feet of ascent, I arrived at a concrete marker indicating the NY/ Massachusetts state line.
From the state line marker, I backtracked briefly before leaving the trail and beginning my bushwhack over to the first set of ledges.  From here, I found an impressive view south across Robert Brook towards the neighboring ridge line of unnamed Peak 1811(which I had also bushwhacked and found great views on a few years ago).
To the SW, the lower slopes of Peak 1811 are visible to the left, with Fox Hill across the valley in the center.

After enjoying the views from the first set of ledges, I continued my bushwhack north to the second open view point.

This view was even broader than the first, taking in valley of Route 22 and Fox Hill.

South views take in Peak 1811 and the main Taconic Ridge which connects Alander and Brace Mountains.

From the second set of ledges, it was a fairly nondescript bushwhack east over to the South Taconic Trail, which I followed north towards the next ridge.  After a very brief drop down to the Alander Brook Trail, I once again left the trail and bushwhacked north along the steep but open woods.

 

After locating the third and final set of ledges for the day, I checked out the SW facing views towards Fox Hill once again.

West facing views towards the distant Catskills.  Unfortunately the late afternoon sun pretty much obscured any chance to really see them though.

After enjoying all of the views, I descended steeply west down towards the CCC Loop Trail, passing through gorgeous hardwoods. 

Once down on the marked trail, it was an easy hike back south to the car.  

 A last look back east at the terrain I had just hiked from Under Mountain Road.

For the day, I covered just under 4 miles RT, with 1300 feet of combined ascent.

Map below.  P=Parking   Red X=First View   Blue X=Second View   Black X=Third View





No comments:

Post a Comment