Search This Blog

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Middle Sister(Lake George Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Did a short afternoon hike to one of the "Three Sisters" in Warrensburg today.  The three peaks rise prominently along the east shore of the Hudson River and are easily recognizable from many other southern Adirondack summits.  I had previously hiked Bald Mountain, the southern most peak, and today I would be hiking the 1740 foot unnamed middle peak, located just north of Bald.  Although there is no given name to the mountain, it is appropriately referred to as the Middle Sister by many folks.
I parked at the end of the driveable section of Katts Corner Road and then started my hike on foot along the abandoned section of road, which starts just south of a gate and closely follows the shore of the Hudson River, before entering the woods.  Elevation to start is a low 632 feet.
After nearly a mile on the old road, I decided to leave the road and begin the bushwhack heading steeply uphill to the east.
The climbing was quite steep in spots but went by fairly quickly through open woods.  As I neared 1200 feet, I began to veer closer to the southern rock ledges, where I found some decent views.
 
From 1200 feet up to the southern edge of the summit area, the mountain is ringed with incredibly steep ledges, which provide very good views.  Here is a view of neighboring Bald Mountain from around 1600 feet.
The woods above the ledges were very nice and almost park like... a bushwhackers dream.
From high up on the slopes of the south ledges, just below the summit, I found an incredible view towards Thompson, Baldhead and Moose Mountains.
The rock outcrop that provided the great views.
I circled around below the summit and found even more rock outcrops and ledges facing east and southeast. 
From yet another set of ledges a bit further east, I found this great view of Pine Mountain, the third "sister", and home the Hickory Ski Center.  To the left, barely visible through the trees, are the streets of Warrenburg.
After enjoying the numerous view points around the mountain top, I finally headed up to the true 1740 foot wooded summit.  Not much to see here.
I left the summit and decided to basically drop straight down the steep slopes, heading NW back towards Katts Corner Road.
Once back on Katts Corner Road, it was a nice and easy hike out on the old road, enjoying the Hudson River views along the way. Even saw some people out tubing on this warm summer day.  4 miles RT and almost 1200 feet of ascent.
My route.



No comments:

Post a Comment