Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2020

Brace Mountain(Southern Taconics)

This is the time of year when every minute is valuable for trying to do any after work hiking.  In making plans this afternoon, I figured I had enough time to head over to the southern Taconics and revisit Brace Mountain, a peak I had climbed before several years ago.  I parked at the small trailhead on Quarry Hill Road and set out under sunny skies.  I was happy to have the trail to myself, and with  cool, brisk conditions I got moving right away, trying to keep warm.  Elevation to start is roughly 940 feet.
The trail starts off quite casually, slowly gaining elevation before things get serious.  As the trail nears a waterfall(which was completely and impressively iced over today), the ascent becomes almost vertical in spots.
 Incredible ice formations on the falls.
Near the steepest section of trail, the ice got real tricky and I threw on the microspikes.  Even with the spikes, however, there were a couple of sketchy instances.
As I got beyond the worst of the steep, icy section of trail, things became noticeably easier.  Once I hit the white blazed South Taconic Trail, I decided to bushhwack over to an area of ledges on the west slopes of South Brace Mountain.  I found several open areas between 1900 and 2000 feet with good views, but one in particular was my personal favorite. 
 It wasn't so much a ledge, but a wide open grassy clearing with phenomenal views.
I continued my bushwhack north towards the saddle between South Brace and Brace before the terrain and thick mountain laurel forced me back up onto the trail.  Once back on the trail, I quickly emerged near the beginning of Brace's exceptional views.  This is a SE view into the Litchfield Hills of Connecticut, with theshoulder of South Brace to the right.
 The open trail high up on the summit ridge gives off the feeling of sky walking.
 Arriving at the breezy, wide open 2310 foot summit of Brace.
 North views up the Taconic ridge towards Alander.
Unfortunately the late afternoon sun didn't make for great photography, but the west views are still stunning.
 Northwest views stretching all the way towards the Catskills.
Wandered the summit area for a bit, enjoying the great views until the cold wind and late hour forced me to turn back.
 Heading back on the trail with South Brace looming ahead.
Between South Brace and the parent peak, there was several inches of crusty snow that was supportive enough to hold me.
Staying on the trail this time, I headed up and over South Brace and enjoyed the south views towards nearby Riga Lake.
Continuing down the ridge, the south view encompasses the Riga Lake in Connecticut(left), the Taconic Ridge(center) and Dutchess County in NY(right).
I picked up my pace a bit knowing that I had my icy descent ahead with darkness looming.  The valley below took on a much different appearance than my hike up, as the sun's late afternoon rays and early evening shadows began to take over.
Just before the steep descent, I paused here to throw on my microspikes once again and soak in this great view.  The descent was much worse than the ascent.  I really took my time in the couple of really tricky spots and made it just fine.  Arrived back at the car just as the sun set....like I said, every minute counts this time of year. 
Hiked just under 4 miles total with 1550 feet of ascent.  A fantastic little peak!!

1 comment: