Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2020

Bennett Lake and Unnamed Bennett Lake W Ledges(Wilcox Lake Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

With high heat and humidity in the forecast, I wanted to keep it short and sweet so decided to visit Bennett Lake and a set of unnamed ledges just west of the lake in the southern Adirondacks.  Parked at the trailhead on Creek Road, elevation 1090 feet, and set out heading north on the wide snowmobile/ foot trail.
The trail was a bit rocky and rough in spots but very dry and easy going.
After about one mile of hiking, an unmarked foot path leaves the marked trail, and heads down to a campsite on the lake. 
Beautiful Bennett Lake..and had the place to myself!
As with most of these Adk lakes/ ponds, a row boat can be found near the water.  I would guess there are paddles/ oars stashed away nearby somewhere, but you may want to bring your own just to be safe.
From the lake, I headed back up to the marked trail and continued on, gaining elevation for about another 2/10 of a mile before I began to bushwhack straight up towards the unnamed ledges.  I passed several open areas of fern glades that are not as abundantly found in the Adks as in the Catskills/ Taconics. 
A fun little ascent brought me up to the open ledges, facing west. 
From the ledges I could pick out the tower atop Cathead Mountain, with Wallace Mountain to its right.
 Looking up at the open area around the ledges.  This made a perfect spot to grab a drink and soak in the vista.
After enjoying the fine views, I made a nice and easy bushwhack descent back down to the trail.  Once back on the trail I was greeted by this jolly old bear. 
A nice and easy 3.8 miles RT, with about 800 feet of ascent.  Only saw one other person the entire hike, a lone fisherman heading out as I headed in.
Today's route below.   Red=Trail     Blue=Bushwhack


2 comments:

  1. Love the view from up there! It's not hard to get to in any season.

    Definitely a neat little hill with lots of surprises in store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect little exploration on an uncomfortably humid day. Lots of bang for the buck!

      Delete