Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2024

Platte Clove South Rim Ledges(Indian Head Wilderness-Catskills)

Decided to venture down into the Catskills to check out some untrailed ledges on the rugged, south rim of Platte Clove on a warm, late summer afternoon. Parked in the first pull off on the shoulder of Platte Clove Road(Elevation 980 feet) and immediately dropped very steeply down towards the Plattekill, which I easily rock hopped across.

Once across the creek, the slopes were nearly vertical, as I carefully bushwhacked my way up the rough woods.

 

After a very steep but short ascent, I found an old quarry road, which I utilized to ascend the rugged terrain.

At one point, I briefly followed a side road that lead me to the site of an old quarry and its tailing piles.


With the aid of the old quarry roads, I made my way up to about 1600 feet on the east side of the mountain, before bushwhacking up to about 1750 feet and then down to an impressive set of ledges on the north slopes of the peak, high above Platte Clove.  The drop from these ledges was incredibly steep!!

The slopes of Hucklberry Point to the left, with the Hudson Valley stretching out far and wide to the east.
Views directly across Platte Clove towards Huckleberry Point, with Platte Clove Road visible down low.
After enjoying the views, I retraced my steps back down the old quarry roads, before a very steep bushwhack brought me to another crossing of the  Plattekill.

One last steep ascent brought me up to my waiting car.  Worked up a good sweat!!  Hiked a total of 3.6 miles RT, with 1250 feet of ascent.  

Map below.  Blue X=Parking  Red X=Ledges


 

No comments:

Post a Comment