Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Long View Park(New Baltimore)

A very cold stretch of winter weather has taken its toll on my car, meaning my inability to get out much recently.  Now that its all fixed up and a brief break in the bitter weather, lead me out for a short post work walk today at Scenic Hudson's Long View Park in the town of New Baltimore.  Felt downright balmy out, with temps in the low 20's and full sunshine as I stepped out of the car at the Tailhead along River Road.
Shed detail at the Armstrong Farm.
The trails drop down across wide open fields, leaving you exposed to the cold winter winds.
There was only a couple of crusty inches of snow on the ground, making for easy walking.
 I looped right first to the small pond and Hudson River overlook.  A rock cairn marks this clearing.
 Overlooking the mostly frozen Hudson River.
 I dropped down the only steep part of the park, where the trail leads to the Hudson's shoreline.
The bitter winter weather has frozen over nearly 100% of the river, with the popping sounds of the ice the only sound I could hear.
 Large ice blocks breaking off along the shore.
A fairly short, pleasant 1.5 mile hike with a couple of different loop options.

No comments:

Post a Comment