Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2018

H.G. Reist Wildlife Sanctuary(Niskyauna)

Got out for an easy, short walk at the 113 acre H.G. Reist Wildlife Sanctuary located in the town of Niskayuna this afternoon.  There are several different possible starting points, but I started today from the end of Morgan Avenue, where a Sanctuary sign is hidden behind bushes.  The trail is obvious though, and I started out under overcast, cool conditions.
 Golden ferns.
 The trails are well marked and criss-cross through the woods with very little elevation change.  I was a bit surprised to see that most of the woods were still green.
 Local boy scout troops have recently rebuilt bridges that cross over wetland areas.
 A small stream crossing.
The only areas I saw any fall color were in the wetland areas, where it was mostly yellows, but I did manage to find one red maple.
I traveled most of the Sanctuary's trails covering a little over 2 miles total.  Unfortunately found half a dozen ticks on me too...not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment