Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2019

Taconic Crest Trail-Potter Mtn Rd to Berry Pond(Taconics)

With a chance of freezing rain and a bit of uncertainty in today's forecast, I decided to stay local and do a leg of the Taconic Crest Trail, just over the state line in Hancock, Massachusetts.   The section I would be hiking today was a part I had never hiked before from the end of driveable Potter Mountain Road south to Berry Pond in the Pittsfield State Forest.  From Route 43, directly across from the hamlet of Hancock, Potter Mountain Road heads east into a deep hollow, with great views of  surrounding farmland and Pease Ridge, the ridge I would soon be hiking, above.
I parked in a small pull off about 20 yards before a metal gate on Potter Mountain Road.  All of this section of the Taconic Crest Trail is actually part of the Pittsfield State Forest, where ATV traffic is allowed in many parts.  Elevation at the gate is 1400 feet, and a coating of snow and icy ATV tracks covered much of the road.
The trail follows the road briefly, climbing with screened views towards neighboring Jiminy Peak's wind turbines to north, before turning sharply south and entering a hardwood forest.
Once entering the woods, the trail climbs sharply up towards the ridgeline, utilizing several switchbacks to ease the ascent. Nearing the ridge, filtered views can be seen through the bare winter trees back over Potter Mountain Road towards Rounds Mountain
Once atop Pease Ridge, above 2000 feet, the trail clings to the top of the ridge, heading south-southwest, with screened views much of the time. 
Tree art along the trail.  The harsh winter conditions atop this ridge can have these effects on the trees.
The Taconic Crest Trail can be very deceptive because it has many ups and downs as it attempts to stay near the crest of the ridgeline.  The high spot for the day was a 2275 foot bump(part of Poppy Mountain).   
The trail passes through the high spot which sits in a very large, open meadow of ferns, prickers and low brush. 
Continuing south beyond the high spot, the trail drops and re-climbs a couple more times, meandering its way through quiet, snow covered hardwoods.  Crossing a small stream here, which drains a wetland between ridgelines. 
As I neared the Berry Pond Circuit Road, the TCT hugs the top of the steep slopes above Goodrich Hollow to the west.
Once I hit the paved Berry Pond Circuit Road(the main road in the Pittsfield State Forest), I quickly left it again, passing through a large field that is covered in azaleas in the spring time. 
After a very brief woodland hike, the trail meets back up with the Circuit Road in a large clearing, with perhaps the best views along the entire Taconic Crest Trail.  The vista is spectacular, spreading nearly 180 degrees west into New York State.
A look NW towards the highlands of the Rensselaer Plateau.  The raised bump in the foreground is a small 1722 foot summit called The Pinnacle.
After enjoying the views, I continued a short distance further along the Circuit Road, where a short drop brings you to the shoreline of Berry Pond.  A thin coating of ice covered the pond, which is reputed to be the highest natural body of water in the state.
Walked around the shoreline to a campsite area, where I stopped to relax for a few minutes.  This spot, with a view of the radio tower atop Berry Mountain, proved to be my turn around point, as I headed back north along the TCT after this. 
Instead of taking the TCT the entire way back, I used the Taconic Skyline Trail for a little while.  The Taconic Skyline Trail is the off road vehicle trail atop the ridge and basically parallels the Taconic Crest Trail,offering an alternative route.   I was actually surprised to see recent tire tracks(probably from this past weekend).
The Skyline Trail did offer a nice change of pace as I followed it north for about a mile, but because of the recent use there was a lot of ice on the trail.
I decided to leave the Skyline Trail and bushwhack a short distance west between the trails, picking back up on the TCT, which I followed back to the car with a light but cold rain falling.  My car read 35 degrees when I turned it on, meaning I had luckily missed any freezing rain for the ride home.  Hiked a total of 7 miles RT with nearly 2000 feet of ascent.  Stopped for a moment along Potter Mountain Road to say hi to the locals before heading out.  A very nice day in a peaceful area just off the beaten path. 
Today's route.  Red=Ascent    Blue=Return/ Descent

1 comment:

  1. My name is Arthur I am researching discontinued roads and I came across your Blog. I am interested in Tower Mountain Road Hancock, MA. Please contact me arthur@saveourheritage.com If you can. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete