Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Bloomingdale Brook Falls-Rensselaer Tech Park

The calm before the storm.  With a monster snowstorm forecast for the next couple days, I wanted to take a brief opportunity to stretch my legs and get a small late afternoon, post-work walk in.  Decided to check out the Rensselaer Tech Park Trails which I haven't been to in a year or so.  Much to my surprise, things have changed in that time.  Regeneron has built a sizeable parking lot where a meadow walk used to lead down to the trail system. Also, there is a small parking area specifically for the trails which had never been there before...as well as ample trail signage.  I was actually quite shocked to see so much change.  Followed the signs to the new trail entrance, which heads into the woods and skirts the edge of the parking lot over to the old trail entrance.
Once back onto the old trail system, I turned left onto the red marked trail, which closely follows the rim above a deep drainage cut. Soon the trail crosses over a sturdy well built footbridge and then up an impressive stone stairway.  Can't say enough about the trail work done here!
Once across the drainage you can really appreciate the depth of the gorge that has been cut out by a seemingly meek little stream. 
A closer inspection looking downstream.  Slick fallen leaves and a hint of mud on the steep slopes made this a bit of a tricky spot to really get a good vantage point.
The trail winds its way safely down to the edge of the brook, where the first of several small, but nice waterfalls can be enjoyed.
 The second falls is the most visually appealing in my opinion. 
 Yet another, smaller falls just a bit further downstream.
Looking up at the steep slopes above the base of the stream bed.
 I was pleasantly surprised to find one more change from my last visit here, when I had to use some fancy footwork to get across the brook.  This time, large stones have been neatly placed in line to cross the water and keep your feet dry.  Wow!  Great work!!
I continued the waterfall loop, climbing steeply back up out of the mini gorge using switchbacks on my way up.  In no time at all I was back out of the woods and heading back towards the car.  Just by chance, near the edge of the woods, I happened to notice a small trail, almost unnoticeable dropping down towards the stream again.  There were even a few sporadic green Tech Park trail markers and lots of flagging.
 
Wasn't really sure what to make of it so I decided to check it out.  It didn't really seem to go anywhere and there was a lot of dead fall blocking any real trail progress. Perhaps this is a future trail being built? 
Covered about one mile total and didn't see anyone else the entire time-guess they were all at the grocery stores stocking up on milk and bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment