Search This Blog

Friday, September 17, 2021

Moreau Overlook(Moreau Lakes State Park-Saratoga County)

Headed up the Northway to get in a little after work hike at beautiful Moreau Lakes State Park off Old Saratoga Road in the town of Moreau.  Conditions were comfortably warm but also quite overcast as I arrived at my starting point near the boat launch, located at the south end of Moreau Lake. From the launch area, I enjoyed a nice lake view, with the ridge I would be climbing behind it to the west.

Leaving the lake(Elevation 345 feet), I picked up the red blazed Red Oak Ridge Trail which heads west into the woods, before turning north/ northwest, all the while slowly gaining elevation along the way.  As I strolled along, I don't think I've ever seen as many chipmunks in the woods as I did today!  Some were even quite photogenic.
I followed the Red Oak Ridge Trail up to the powder blue blazes of the Moreau Overlook Trail, which is a much more rugged and steeper trail.
Looking up at a rocky section on the ascent.
After gaining more than 400 feet in just over half a mile(and just shy of 700 feet from the car), I arrived at the beautiful Moreau Overlook.

As luck would have it, the sun broke through the murky skies at just the right time, providing a pretty nice view to the east over Moreau Lake and all the way to the Green Mountains of Vermont.  A keen eye can even pick out  traffic on the Northway from this vantage point.

After enjoying the views, I continued a small ascent up and over a high spot following the pink blazes of the Ridge Run Trail.  Near the top and just a few yards off trail, I spotted a little wetland that seemed so out of place.


Stopped briefly to check out a nice little vernal pond in the growing darkness of the woods.

For variety, I looped back down on the black blazed Old Moreau Overlook Trail, before following the Moreau Overlook Trail all the way down to the lake.  Down by the water,I checked out some lake views as well some very nice looking picnic spots.

 

Enjoyed a nice and easy walk back to the boat launch along the Nature Trail, which basically hugs the west side of the lake.  A very pleasant 3.3 miles  total with nearly 800 feet of ascent.  Even with the overcast skies, I was very shocked to not see another hiker the entire time I was in the woods.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great photos and descriptions of your hike to the Moreau Lake overlook. I visit this state park almost every week, but I haven't visited this overlook in several years. This park's nearly 7,000 acres and many miles of trails offer an incredible variety of terrain to explore. Most visitors rarely venture beyond the swimming beach and campground to discover the two other lakes (Bonita and Ann), the mountain ridge, the Hudson River, or the forested banks of the Hudson over in Warren County. Many of the trails are as rugged and lovely as trails much further north, and rarely are they crowded or abused by overuse. Let's hope your beautiful post doesn't change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I have to agree with you 100%. This is a beautifully rugged park with many, many acres of land and miles of trails that seems to fly just a bit under the radar. I'm perfectly fine with that too! :-)

      Delete