Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2021

Sugarloaf(Mount Greylock State Reservation-Berkshires)

Took advantage of a gorgeous late summer afternoon by doing a little off trail exploration to 2034 foot Sugarloaf, a small peak in the SW part of the Mount Greylock State Reservation.   It looked like there was decent public access to the peak so I headed over to Ingraham Road in the town of New Ashford and looked for state signs, but there were few if any at all.  I double checked my maps and found a spot that appeared to clearly reside on state land so I found room on the shoulder of the road(Elevation 1450 feet) and then headed east into the woods, quickly coming to a pretty area of cascading water on an unnamed drainage. 

The wooded slopes were pretty straightforward but steep in a couple of sections.  I was actually a bit impressed by the rock formations on a "smaller" peak such as this.

Up a bit higher, I crossed back over a small drainage as I continued my ascent.

At about 1800 feet there is a virtual wall of rock, that stretches north to south for quite a distance, rising up nearly 50 feet high.  This particular section was easily the most memorable part of this peak, as I looked for(and eventually found) a chute up.

Once above the cliffs, I followed the edge in search of views and was rewarded with a very nice west facing view towards Brodie Mountain and its wind turbines.

There are a couple of other okay views, but this peak would definitely have much more views to offer once the leaves drop.  SW views toward Brodie and Sheeps Heaven Mountains.

As I headed up through a steep section of woods, I saw a subtle bit of movement just a few yards away. As I turned to my left, I spotted a porcupine scurrying(the fastest he could) away.

A vernal pond and wet woods were found in the low spots just below the summit area.

I found the woods up high to be a real treat, with nice and open woods to wander through. 

There are three distinct high points with the highest being 2034 feet and marked with a small rock cairn.  Unfortunately the only photo I have of the summit cairn is blurry.
Once off the summit, I explored the open hardwoods soaking in the beautiful weather and enjoying through the trees views towards the nearby Greylock Range to the east.  I even crossed over a couple of old logging roads way up high.

A fairly quick descent down the steep west slopes dropped me back to my waiting car on peaceful Ingraham Road.  The wooded canopy along the road is starting to show some early tinges of fall, making for a highly scenic walk/ drive.


Hiked about 2 miles total(all bushwhack) with over 700 feet of total ascent.  A nice little obscure peak that I will certainly be back to visit once the leaves are all down.

Map below, with Sugarloaf circled in red.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment