Search This Blog

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Mount Lebanon Bushwhack(Taconics)

With energy to burn after work, and sunny skies above,  I really wanted to get out for a local hike, but something a little different.  This lead me to an area less than 15 minutes from my house that I had never hiked before.  Directly on the NY/ Massachusetts state line off of Brickyard Road in New Lebanon is a gated woods road which provides access east into the Pittsfield State Forest.  My goal for the day was to explore the terrain up on the Taconic Ridge and over the summit of Mount Lebanon.  Elevation at the gate was 1225 feet. 
The road is unmarked but very easy to follow, and climbs steadily to the east.  As the road ascends, it becomes smaller in nature, but remains easy to follow.  Several smaller woods roads break off to each side. 
At a height of land on the road, I decided to turn south and head into the woods, beginning my bushwhack through open hardwoods. 
A short and steady climb brought me up to a nondescript, wooded 1675 foot summit bump.  I quickly descended off the top heading generally south/ southeast.
Almost everywhere I went, I ran into some woods roads, which look to be actively used by ATV's.
 
Following the edge of very steep slopes on the next ridge east, I was lucky enough to capture a sliver of a view towards West Hill in NY.
 
Much of the winter's snow has melted, meaning small drainages and streams are all flowing fast.
I almost accidentally ran into the Taconic Crest Trail, which I followed south for a short distance before bushwhacking over to the steep west slopes in search of more screened valley views.
The open farm fields of West Hill in New Lebanon can be seen through the trees to the west.
I dropped down to a stream crossing, which was actually the outlet of Twin Pond.
I followed the outlet right up to Twin Pond on the Taconic Crest Trail, which was still about 2/3 covered with ice.
From Twin Pond, I picked up an unmarked woods road which headed directly towards Mount Lebanon's summit so I followed it.  I was forced to leave the woods road and bushwhack the last 1/10 of a mile up to the top.  Arriving at the wooded 1690 foot summit of Mount Lebanon. 
I didn't linger long at the top, with the blustery NW winds keeping things cool.  On the descent, I stumbled across this abandoned woods road on the north slopes just below the summit.  The ridge that makes up the Taconic Crest Trail is the ridge through the trees.
The north slopes of Mount Lebanon are quite steep and offer up more through the trees views down into the valley in NY.
Catching a peek down at the wetland near the start of my hike.
At the bottom of the descent, I peered back up the steep slopes above, bathed in full sunshine.
Coming to Twin Pond's outlet once again, this time much further down the mountain. 
The woods along the outlet really open down here, and made for pleasant hiking.  An easy rock hop got me across the stream and on my way.
Nearing the car, I picked up another woods road, which skirts the large wetland near Brickyard Road.  Of course I had to head over and check it out.  Although I got wet boots, the scene was picturesque to the say the least.
A nice and easy walk out got me back to the car.  My GPS tracks for the day for a total of 3.5 miles RT and 1050 feet of ascent.  Also pulled two ticks off of me.  Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment