Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2021

Cotton Hill-Long Path(Dutch Settlement State Forest, Schoharie County, NY)

With scattered storms in the area this morning, and even more, stronger storms forecast for the afternoon, I chose to do a small hike along the Long Path in the tranquil woods of rural Schoharie County.  My thought was to hike up and over Cotton Hill and see how far I could get on the LP before the weather turned me around.  I parked in the small pull off along Treadlemire Road(Elevation 2020 feet), where the recognizable aqua blazes of the Long Path head east into the woods. 

As many Catskill and Schohare County peaks, the wooded slopes of these mountains are laced with old stone walls.

Less than 1/3 of a mile into the hike, I arrived in the large clearing where the Lean To is located.  This is a great spot, and looks to be well maintained.

The Lean To is located just below the summit of Cotton Hill, and offers a screened view to the west, where storm clouds looked to be slowly moving in.
 Pine plantation atop Cotton Hill.
From the Long Path, a short spur trail leads several yards over to a small rock cairn which marks the 2114 foot summit of Cotton Hill.
The Cotton Hill summit survey, found right beside the rock cairn.

Beyond the summit, the trail soon begins to descend the east slopes of the peak, passing through a handsome mixed forest.  Bird songs fill the air, and the distinct feeling that you are far away from the rest of the world takes over in these quiet woods.

The quiet forest walk turns north for a short distance then continues east, before meeting up with an old woods road that drops sharply south down into a large, open meadow.

From the meadow, a good woods road continues south all the way down to Cotton Hill Road.  The woods road is actually driveable near the bottom, and makes for a very pleasant walk. 

With an uncertain forecast and cloudy skies, I chose to turn around at Cotton Hill Road, where a weathered old Long Path sign greeted me.  At this point, I had dropped over 600+ feet from the summit and now would have to re-gain all of that elevation I had lost.

From my turnaround point at Cotton Hill Road, I retraced my steps back up to the summit of Cotton Hill, which was really a nice and easy ascent.  Dark storm clouds rolling in kept me moving and rising humidity combined to work me up into a pretty good sweat, however.

Hiked just under 4 miles round trip, with 700 feet of ascent.  Didn't see another soul all day, and the impending rain held off.  If you are looking for a fairly remote trail with plenty of solitude, then this is the hike for you. 

Rough route below.   Blue P=Parking  Red=Trail   Blue X=Turnaround point





No comments:

Post a Comment