Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Unnamed Scribner Mountain South Ridge(Wilcox Lake Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

With a fairly nice afternoon shaping up but only limited time, I did a short bushwhack hike to an obscure, albeit nice set of ledges in the southern Adirondacks.  The ledges are part of the unnamed south ridge of Scribner Mountain(although oddly enough, the south summit is actually much higher than the one labeled on maps as Scribner Mtn) Parked on Creek Road in the town of Hope at a height of land(Elevation 1180 feet)and headed north into the woods, immediately dropping down to a small stream crossing.

The woods quickly transitioned from softwood to mostly hardwood and were very open.  Navigation on this short hike was not an issue.

 

Instead of heading right for the summit, I veered over to a series of small but steep west facing ledges.

NW views from a second ledge.
Exploring the ledges.
West views towards Cathead Mountain.
After enjoying the views, I headed back SE and up to the 1600 foot nondescript, wooded summit. 
A nice and easy return route to the south brought back to my car in no time.  A little humid and a little buggy, but pretty nice day overall.  Wish I had more free time but had to settle for 2+ miles(all bushwhack) and 550 feet of total ascent.

Map below.  Blue P=Parking    Black X=Summit   Red circle=Ledges


2 comments:

  1. At first, I though these were the ledges due west of Bennett Lake, but the I saw your map. Looks like a fairly straight forward bushwhack. I'll have to try it out soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, these are the ledges almost due west of the Bennett Lake ledges. Nice and easy bushwhack if you are on limited on time, like I was. Good bang for the buck.

      Delete