Search This Blog

Monday, December 5, 2022

Torrens Hook(Phoenicia-Mount Tobias Wild Forest-Catskills)

Took advantage of some free time today by heading down to the Catskills to bushwhack Torrens Hook, an obscure 1696 foot peak that is unnamed on topographic maps and sits north of the Ashokan Reservoir. I parked along the shoulder of Bostock Road(Elevation 1195 feet), almost directly across from North Slope Road, where DEP land meets the road from the north.  Crossing the road here, I followed yellow blazes of a DEC easement that allows public access to state land further up the ridge to the south.

I tried my best to follow the easement, although it was quite difficult in spots and after nearly 1/4 of a mile I hit state land.  I clung tight to the steep east facing slopes and quickly found good views through the trees of nearby Ticetonyck Mountain to the northeast.
Continuing south along the steep east facing slopes, I found more through the trees views of a large chunk of the Ashokan Reservoir.

 

Most of the views were filtered, but some small windows provided slightly better view points.

 

I followed the ridge all the way south until I hit the edge of state land, where the woods are wide open.

Heading up to the wooded 1696 foot summit, with screened views all around.

From the true summit I headed west for about 3/10 of a mile to a slightly lower high point on the ridge.  To the north, Piney Point's ridge can be seen through the bare trees.
I continued SW off the summit, to a broad area of open woods and more filtered views to the southwest towards the Reservoir and Ashokan High Point.
One of the better views I found, towards West Shokan with South Mountain just beyond.

A nice and easy bushwhack back up and over the ridge north brought me easily back to the easement trail and then to the car.  A very pleasant 2.6 miles RT with 700 feet of ascent on a pleasant late fall day.

Map below.  Red P=Parking   Red X=Summit







2 comments:

  1. I had a good view of Torrens Hook from Samuels Point yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those Catskill peaks are much better viewed once the leaves are down

      Delete