Search This Blog

Friday, January 12, 2024

Unnamed Misery Mountain Summit North Rathbun Hollow(Misery Mountain WMA-Berkshires)

Did a short bushwhack hike high up in a remote hollow on the Berkshires side of the Taconic ridgeline along the NY/ Mass state line on a mild winter day.  Parked at the end of the public section of Rathbun  Road(Elevation 1645 feet) and ascended north into a wide open meadow, passing by Mass Wildlife Management Area signage along the way.  There was only about an inch or two of snow here, which made for easy going.

 

Heading up through the open meadow afforded nice views back south to the neighboring ridgeline.

I combined some bushwhacking with following a woods road as I made my way up the steep slopes.  This woods road was wide and in very good condition(possibly the remains of some kind of failed development or private home-before being sold to the state?)

Higher up near the ridgeline, I came across some handsome old stone walls.  This spot was actually very near the NY state line.

Once on the ridge, at over 2300 feet, I found some very good screened views down into Gardner Hollow and NE into Williamstown.  Even at this elevation, there was no more than about 4 inches of snow to contend with.

From the state line, I continued an easy climb west for just over 1/3 of a mile up to the 2543 foot wooded high point on the ridge.  Mild temps were actually melting and condensing the snow, making for a little tougher going up high.

From the high spot, I turned back east, retracing my steps down the ridge to a small but obvious little knob along the way. 

This small knob sat at 2385 feet, and afforded more filtered views north into Gardner Hollow.

On my descent off the ridge, I stumbled upon a small man made pond not far off the woods road.

Back down in the meadow near the road, I found another, larger pond which sat near the very edge of state land high up in Rathbun Hollow.

Just prior to my arrival back at the car, I caught a nice view southeast over to Jiminy Peak's nearby ski slopes.

A beautiful winter day in a quiet little corner of the world.  Covered about 2.5 miles RT, with 900 feet of ascent.

Map Below for reference.    Red P=Parking  Red X=Summit

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment