Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Allaben Quarry(Shandanken Wild Forest/ Hunter-West Kill Wilderness-Catskills)

My second short hike for the day was a quick jaunt up to an old, abandoned quarry and tailings pile just east of Broadstreet Hollow.  I parked at the Allaben Primitive Camping Area(Eevation 1125 feet) north off of Route 28 and headed into the woods, closely hugging the state property line, while climbing north.

I veered right to the northeast through wide open hardwoods, soon picking up an old quarry road.
Arriving at the first of three large tailings piles, around 1520 feet.

 

At the top of the first tailings pile, I found a nice view north towards North Dome(left) and Saint Anne's Peak(right).  Part of Mount Sherrill can be seen on the distance left.

 

SE view from second tailings pile across Broadstreet Hollow.

View south towards Garfield(left) and towards Panther's multiple ridgelines.

From the viewpoints, I turned back south, following the old quarry road back.  From there, a very short bushwhack brought me to the car.

Hiked a total of 1.4 miles RT, with over 400 feet of ascent.  

Map below.  Blue P=Parking   Blue X=Quarry View


 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog! Can I share to the Facebook groups on Catskill hiking?

    ReplyDelete