Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Osgood Woods/ John B. Staalesen Preserve(City of Troy, Rensselaer County)

Got out for a couple of short walks in Troy on a cloudy, muggy morning.  With rain in the forecast for the day and most of the upcoming week, I figured I'd take advantage of a small dry window and get some steps in.  My first stop was Osgood Woods, an 11 acre preserve on Troy City School District land in the middle of South Troy that is hard to find unless you're looking for it.   A small sign and kiosk stand at the corner of 5th and Madison and on street parking is readily available.

The trail passes through a clearing before entering the woods and climbing steadily uphill through encroaching undergrowth.
The main trail forms a large loop, but a small side path leads to a nice viewpoint over parts of the city buildings and Prospect Hill to the right.  Unfortunately the hazy, humid air and gray conditions didn't make for the nicest view.
Completed the main trail loop and even checked out a couple of herd paths that seemed to simply lead towards nearby neighborhoods.  Covered about 8/10 of a mile with 170 feet of ascent.
Next stop was the Staalasen Preserve at the end Wynanstkill Way, a place I hadn't visited since it first opened many years ago.  First stop, was to check out the brand new bridge across the Wynants Kill connecting the Staalasen Preserve with City of Troy land on the opposite banks.
Once across the bridge, I walked the City of Troy trails, near the site of old landfill.
Back across the bridge again, I strolled all of the trails at the Preserve, especially enjoying the views along the Wynants Kill.
Peace and tranquility along the creek.  Little did I know how much this water would rise the next day from historic flooding in Rensselaer County.
Enjoyed a nice, leisurely walk, covering a bit over a mile total.  Kudos once again to Hudson Taconic Lands for not only the bridge, but amazing trail work.




No comments:

Post a Comment