Search This Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Cheshire Cobble(Berkshires)

Did a short Christmas Eve hike this morning to Cheshire Cobble in the central Berkshires.  I parked at the small parking area just east of the village of Cheshire along Notch Road on a comfortable 30 degree morning.  I've done this hike a couple of other times, but wanted to check out the east slopes of the mountain off trail as well this time.  I followed an unmarked woods road south, which climbs up above McDonald Creek.
 The woods road is fairly well traveled by locals and was shown a lot of recent activity in the snow.
 I left the woods road and began a more direct route to the Cobbles.  Much of this land is part of the Chalet Wildlife Management Area.
 As I gained elevation I began to enjoy some screened views back to the north of rural Cheshire and Adams.
 My route soon met back up with the marked Appalachian Trail, just below Cheshire Cobble.
 Directly below the Cobble.
 The sheer size of the shaved off boulders and ledges is quite impressive.
 The trail swings around the Cobble, with a short spur trail leading over to the view point.
The view from Cheshire Cobble, as always, is quite spectacular.  Cheshire Reservoir as well as the village of Cheshire sit directly below this vantage point.
The view southwest with Cheshire Reservoir sprawling out.
 The viewing area is quite large and can be explored a bit, with slightly differing views.
 The north end of the Cobbles, provides a fantastic view of Mount Greylock.
 After enjoying the views, I began a bushwhack southeast off the trail.  There was about 3 inches of crusty snow in the woods, but footing wasn't bad.
 Arriving in a small clearing, that looks like would make a nice campsite.
 I wandered the east slopes in search of views.  I remember seeing a small slide on this side of the mountain, but don't think I went far enough down to find it.  I did find some nice filtered views to the east towards Woodchuck Hill.
 Northeast views through the trees.
 I eventually headed back northwest, finding my way to the Appalachian Trail, which climbs up and over the true summit of Cheshire Cobble.  From there, a nice view to the Reservoir can be enjoyed.
Coming down off the summit on the icy trail.
Followed the woods road back to the car, passing this lonely beech tree along the way.
Hiked about 2 miles total on a comfortable Sunday morning.  Merry Christmas to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment