Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Five Rivers Educational Center(Delmar)

Winter has finally arrived...and with a vengeance.  Unfortunately, the winter storms this week fell on my free hiking days, so I've been kind of cooped up recently.  Took advantage of a free window of time after work today though to do some exploring at the 450 acre Fiver Rivers Educational Center located off Game Farm Road in Delmar.  A bitterly cold day with wind chills in the single digits was not enough to stop me from getting out.  It was enough to keep most others away though, as there were only a couple of cars in the large parking lot when I arrived.  I layered up and headed out, heading towards my favorite trail on the property beside the Vloman Kill.  Along the way I spotted a relative of Frosty, who seemed happy despite the cold weather.
Dropped down to the Vloman Kill Trail near the western edge of the property, where the creek winds its way peacefully through a woodland.
The recent cold and snow have left the babbling Vloman Kill locked up in a wintry freeze.
Snowman #2 along the creek banks.
The power of erosion on display along the hemlock shaded banks of the Vloman Kill.
Left the Vloman Kill Trail and picked up the Big Pine Trail, which hugs the creek as well, before eventually climbing up and out of the ravine.  Just off the trail a very short distance I stumbled upon a Lean To shelter.
Soon picked up a trail marked as Larch Lane and then onto the Service Road Loop.  From a viewing platform, I enjoyed a pleasant, but freezing view across the open fields where birds dance and sing.
A tiny pond called "Skeeter Bowl" sits just a few yards off the trail.
Continued following the Service Road Loop east towards a group of ponds known as the Research Ponds.  The grouping of ponds are all huddled beside each other, each completely frozen over.
The Old Field Trail and a large, wide open field can be found along the far east side of the property. A viewing platform offers up a chance for visitors to quietly enjoy the nature setting around them.  Today, with its strong north winds however, wasn't the best day to be out on this exposed location.
A bench marks a quiet spot to enjoy Sunfish Pond.
Just before arriving back at the Visitor Center, I spotted Snowman #3.  He also seemed very friendly as he was smiling ear to ear. 
Arrived back at the car chilled, but not uncomfortable.  There was very little elevation change on the crusty snow and random ice that I walked on.  About 2 miles total, and I only saw one other hearty soul out on the trails.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Sounds very interesting, but I believe I read on the DEC website that no pets are allowed??
    Thanks for all your journeys!
    Bill Nadeau,
    Wynantskill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That's too bad! I believe that the reason for no dogs must be because this is an education center and it could hamper any and all research being done here.

    ReplyDelete