Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Rynards Roost(Gundrum Land/ Pittstown State Forest/ Grafton Forest)

Decided to pay a visit to the new(ish) state land that sits south of Pittstown State Forest and north of the Grafton Lakes State Forest, that was acquired from the Gundrum Lumber Company.  The jewel of this land is a fine vista called Rynards Roost that offers up spectacular north views towards the Tommhannock Reservoir.  I parked at a small pull off along Ward Hollow Road in the Pittstown State Forest at a low elevation of about 675 feet.  From there, I followed a woods road down to a stream crossing.
 Once across the stream, the woods roads became steep and scattered, with several different ones breaking off all over.  I tried to follow one but it quickly dissolved so I just headed up through the woods.
 After ascending over 600 feet, I luckily hit another good woods road which took me in the direction I wanted to go.  Soon enough I saw blue discs, indicating that I was on the right trail.  Unfortunately, these trails all follow old logging roads, which have seen extensive ATV/ Logging Equipment use over the years(as evidenced by huge puddles found throughout).
 The trail/woods road loops around a small private summit area on its way to Rynards Roost, passing by a sea of fern glades.
 The final approach to Rynard's Roost, complete with fire pit and grill.
The view from Rynards Roost is as good as advertised, with sweeping views to the north.  The commanding view of the Tommhannock Reservoir is hard to beat.
A zoom view to the Reservoir.
One more view, stretching a bit further to the west. 
After enjoying the views, I headed back, following the obvious woods road back that I missed on the way up.
 The steep, rutted descent.
 Passing over a small, pretty stream on the way down.
 A great day in the woods.  No bugs, low humidity and great views.  About 3.8 miles RT, with 750 feet elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment