Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2018

Shaver Pond(Grafton Lakes State Park)

Visited quiet Shaver Pond in the northwest corner of Grafton Lakes State Park on a damp and dark afternoon today.  Heavy downpours from the morning and impending late afternoon showers left a small hiking window in these ominous high elevation woods.  I parked at a state parking area along Shaver Pond Road and headed east into a mixed forest on a fishing access path.  A quick turn north lead me onto the Wildwood Trail, which passes by stoic stone walls.
 Ferns were abundant in the deep, dark woods as I dropped down towards the Shaver Pond Trail.
A small unmarked spur path provided my first glimpse of Shaver Pond, under overcast skies and cool, non June like temps in the 50's.
Back on the Shaver Pond Trail, I took a small detour onto a green blazed side trail(Granville Hicks Trail) which heads northwest past an old Hicks family cemetery.
A small sign commemorates the life and times of Granville Hicks, who lived in these woods and eventually sold the property to NYS. 
 A sharp right turn near the old Granville Hicks cottage finds you on a wide woods road, and drops down towards the north shore of Shaver Pond.
 A small viewing platform provides a nice look at a large wetland just north of the pond.
 The trail hooks around the north end of the pond and begins heading south along the east shore. Just a few yards off the trail I found this view of the far north part of Shaver Pond.
 Continuing along the east shore, I came to this dilapidated picnic table with a nice water view.
 As I hit the far southern end of the pond, I found this pretty look across the water, with a hint of mist rising just above.
 Circling around the cove at the south edge.
 Reflections.
 The trail literally hugs the shore for a ways, before coming to a bridge crossing over an inlet stream.
A quick 1/4 mile hike back up the fisherman's path got me back to my car on Shaver Pond Road.  Luckily the rain held off.  Hiked about 2.4 miles total with minimal elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment