Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Huckleberry Mountain(Wilcox Lake Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Had the day off and perfect weather to hike in...a rare combination.  Took advantage of this fact by heading north to do some exploring in the Adirondacks.  One particular little mountain that has always intrigued me is Huckleberry Mountain, which overlooks Murphy Lake in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.  Although not terribly high, with a summit elevation of only 1932 feet, the open rock near the top is calling my name.  Got started by driving to the trailhead for Murphy Lake along Pumpkin Hollow Road, 1.6 miles east off Route 30 in the town of Wells.  Elevation to start was just over 1300 feet.  Heading south on the trail in the early morning light in ideal spring conditions.
The trail was quite wet and muddy in spots, but for the most part was in good shape.  A highlight of the trail was a nice footbridge crossing over Doig Creek at 1.5 miles in.
Looking upstream at Doig Creek.
After a couple of miles, the trail comes near a sprawling wetland section of Doig Creek, created by beaver's long ago.  I poked my head down through the woods to catch a nice peek of Huckleberry's two summits.
Just beyond the wetland, I found a nice spot to leave the trail and cross Doig Creek, beginning my ascent.  The climb was fairly straightforward through deciduous trees.  Unfortunately, the black flies were a bit annoying.  Not biting yet(thankfully), but still annoying. 
I headed almost directly towards the lower summit's steep SW ledges, where I found a series of nice ledges with good views.  Here is a view NW back up the valley I had just hiked.
To the south, beyond the budding trees, I spotted Murphy Lake.
I enjoyed exploring the lower summit's views for a bit before heading over to the high spot, which was fully wooded.
A small drop off the lower summit brought me over to the steep cliff bands that make up the true summit.  I headed slightly east around the ledges to find a way up.  Within a few moments of rock scrambling I found more views SE towards Murphy Lake and the unnamed peak above it.
Nearing the summit area, I encountered several open rocky cliff bands that made for an entertaining climb.
Emerging at an open ledge just off the summit.
Every hiker knows that adrenaline rush you get just before arriving at your vista spot. 
From the wide open rock, I found a flawless view of Murphy Lake.  In the distance, a careful eye can see a peek a boo look at the Great Sacandaga Lake.
A second ledge, a mere few yards away, provided west facing views into the Silver Lake Wilderness. 
Spectacular views from the summit area.  The view SW towards Cathead, Wallace and Three Ponds Mountains.
After enjoying the views, I dropped off the west side of the summit, being careful to find a gentle descent around the steepest ledges.  Once back down off the mountain, I caught this zoom view of the summit ledges from the wetland.
On the trail, I quickly moved along, with the sounds of songbirds serenading the way.
Spotted this painted trillium along the trail as I neared the car.
An awesome little adventure!  6 miles RT with over 1100 feet of ascent total.

2 comments:

  1. Love the hike up Huck! I've only come down the way you went up. I always start my climb from Murphy Lake. Not sure it's any different, just the way I was first brought up there when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really wanted to get up to those cliffs for a while now, so was glad to have the opportunity. Was going to go all the way down to the lake, but saw a couple other cars at the trailhead and figured there might be folks camping there, so I skipped it.

      Delete