Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

The Windham Path(Catskills)

Got out for a short walk Tuesday morning at the Windham Path on yet another dismal spring day, with cool temps in the low 40's and rain in the forecast.  The Windham Path can be accessed from two separate parking areas and offers up 2 miles of scenic walking near the hamlet of Windham.  One entrance(the main starting point) is right off Route 23, just west and across the street from Old Route 23.  A second trailhead is located to the south, off Route 296.  I started from the main entrance off Route 23.
The trail meanders its way through the mostly open meadows, as well as woodlands and along streams, with views of the surrounding peaks to boot.
Along the trail there are several benches to relax and enjoy the views.  Here is a particularly great seat to soak in the view of nearby Van Loan Hill(L) and Round Hill(R).
Spring is fighting its way forward through a downright cold and nasty stretch of weather recently.  Trees are leafing out and grass is greening up, even with temps running 20-25 degrees below average.  Low clouds and mist obscure neighboring Cave Mountain's upper slopes from across these fields.
A gorgeous covered foot bridge crosses the Batavia Kill and connects to the south trail entrance off of Route 296.
Along downstream at the Batavia Kill.
 A picturesque foot bridge crosses a backwater area of the Batavia Kill.
I followed the trail to the south  and took a moment to catch another quick peek of the Batavia Kill(just off trail).
 The trail skirting the woods along the east side of the fields.
 The lower slopes of Cave's NE ridge can be seen here, draped in fog.
As the trail continues north towards the parking area and rushing traffic along nearby Route 23, a small tributary stream keeps nature close by.
Finished a nice and easy 1.5 mile stroll on an exceptionally cool May day.  Once back in the car, a short drive up in elevation was a not so gentle reminder that winter always holds on tight in the mountains.  Rare May snow and thick fog greeted me as I climbed up and over 2000 feet .  I think I speak for most people when I say that we are all just about done with this cold snap.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, another place I never heard of! Now I have to go sometime, it's beautiful...I loved that snowy pic too! People think I'm crazy but I wish it was winter all year, that's the best hiking weather (minimal sweating, no bugs)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy this trail.. a real nice, leisurely stroll. As far as winter goes, I do enjoy winter hiking, but I truly love the variety each season provides. Fall hiking, though, is the best in my opinion.

      Delete