Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Mount Francisco(Silver Lake Wilderness-Adirondacks)

After hiking Huckleberry Mountain in the morning, I decided to head north and hike another small mountain, this one in the Silver Lake Wilderness.  Mount Francisco is located just south of Route 8 in the town of Lake Pleasant and has no trail, meaning it would be a bushwhack hike.  I parked at a small sliver of state land along Route 8, where a yellow gate marks the beginning of an old road to a quarry. I found a herd path that leads directly to the quarry, which is less than 1/10 of a mile from the road. A nice and easy climb up the rim of the quarry provided some interesting views.
Near the top of the quarry, I caught this neat look SE to Indian Head Mountain.
Quarry view east.
An impressive view of  Sacandaga Lake to the NE.
After enjoying the old quarry, I continued on my way south, then SW towards Mount Francisco's southern summit.  The woods were open and inviting the entire way.
Arriving at the 2315 foot south summit, which sits in a clearing.
A short distance SW beyond the summit, I managed to find the open views I was looking for.  Sweeping south facing views from a fairly large swath of open area are the reward for this hike.  Speculator Mountain, Hamilton, Swart and Dugway Mountains form the horizon view.
The views southwest over the valley of Gallop Creek, so named for the 19th century family that farmed there.
There are several different, similar south facing view points as you circle the summit ledges.  Stumbled upon a fire ring at this ledge, where I also managed to find a deer shed.
Zoom views towards one of the vlies of Gallop Creek.
Retraced my steps through the open woods for a nice and easy 2.5 miles RT(all bushwhack), with just under 600 feet of ascent.


No comments:

Post a Comment