Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Escarpment Ledges to Poets Ledge(Kaaterskill Wild Forest-Catskills)

Headed down to do some part trail-part bushwhack hiking in the Catskills on yet another unseasonably mild late winter day.  Today's goal would be to explore the steep eastern escarpment ledges on the far east slopes of Kaaterskill High Point and then on up to Poets Ledge on trail.  I parked just east of the bridge crossing Kaaterskill Creek on Route 23a in Palenville and then crossed over the road to begin my hike following the Long Path blazes along residential Malden Ave(elevation 675 feet).  Parking is not allowed anywhere on Malden Ave and there are posted signs literally plastered everywhere through this stretch, so be respectful and stay on the road as you walk by people's homes.  After a little over half a mile, I turned sharply uphill on a dirt road, leaving Malden Ave behind, continuing up to a red gate and Long Path signage.
The Long Path begins to ascend fairly steadily from here, following a road woods road up with the cliffs of Palenville Overlook visible to the north.
I followed the trail up to about 1375 feet before beginning my bushwhack, heading south near the edge of the escarpment.  A large vernal pond, still partially frozen, surprised me along the way.
Hugging the edge of the escarpment, I soon came to the first of several open ledge views.  Even at just under 1400 feet of elevation, the views of the Hudson Valley are quite striking.  This is a SE view. 
I eventually picked up a rough herd path along the ledges, where sheer drop offs are accompanied by pitch pines.
From a spot a little further south, caught this view SE towards Mount Marion and Dutchess County.
I had a great time wandering the nooks and crannies along the ledges.
The steep walls of the eastern escarpment is sometimes referred to as the Great Wall of Manitou.  Here is a look straight down off the ledges, where the drop is almost vertical.
A framed view south towards the lower slopes of the "Kaaterskill Amphitheater".
After enjoying the escarpment, I continued my bushwhack heading west then back north gaining more elevation on my way back towards the Long Path.  With temps soaring through the 50's, I climbed up past several areas of ice and melting snow along the way.
I reconnected with the Long Path at about 1700 feet, ascending up from there.  With very little snow and ice to contend with, I quickly made my up to an area known as Giant Steps, at about 2050 feet.  This spot marked the location where I had to switch to my microspikes, as the steps were slick with ice.
Just above the Giant Steps at about 2100 feet, I arrived at a spot known as Ella's Ledge.  It is a small ledge view towards Indian Head Ledge and Palenville Overlook with a very steep and dangerous, icy drop off.  I chose not to get too close to the edge here.
Beyond Ella's Ledge, the Long Path climbs steadily up and over 2300 feet, passing quietly through a gorgeous hemlock forest.  Soon, I came to a trail junction, where a yellow blazed trail breaks off towards Poets Ledge. 
The woods are dark and ominous up here, and the trail is basically a skating rink in spots.  Even with the spikes, I took my time being extremely careful. 
After some sketchy descending, I eventually arrived at Poets Ledge with a nice view towards Kaaterskill High Peak's unmistakable summit above Hillyer and Wildcat Ravines.
Poets Ledge is most well known, however, for its grand view west up Kaaterskill Clove, with Route 23a threading the valley below. 
After enjoying the spectacular views, I turned back with dark storm clouds and rain moving in.  As I dropped back down towards Malden Ave, I enjoyed one last fleeting view of Palenville Overlook and Indian Head Ledge high above to the north. 
A nice and easy stroll along Malden Ave brought me back to my waiting car back down in Palenville, the official gateway to Kaaterskill Clove.
Hiked about 6.5 miles RT, with just under 2100 feet of ascent. and luckily the rain held off until the drive home.
Route below with Red=Trail    Blue=Bushwhack

No comments:

Post a Comment