Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2020

Mount Everett West Ridge(Southern Taconics)

Mount Everett is the giant of the southern Taconics, the tallest peak in the region at over 2600 feet. A couple of different trail options offer hikers a route up to the summit and its good views as well.  Looking over a topo map recently, I noticed a patch of open rock high up on the west ridge of the mountain that looked like it might have something to offer.  Knowing that there was no trail there, and also aware that most of the southern Taconics are literally covered in mountain laurel, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I parked down at the bottom of Mount Everett Road near a gate and walked up the road for a short distance, before beginning my bushwhack, heading into the open woods, passing by old stone walls along the way.  Elevation to start the hike was just under 1800 feet.
Quickly, the slopes of the peak became steeper and of course covered in mountain laurel.  This really slowed my progress down, but I pushed on, stepping over, on and through the laurel. 
At just over 2200 feet, I finally emerged at the large rocky, clearing I had seen on the map.  Mount Everett's summit ridge, at over 2600 feet, towered above to the east.
 The rocky clearing was even more open than I had thought and felt good bathed in strong sun.
The view from the open rock is not wide open, but nice, sprawling to the SW towards Mount Ashley and Alander.
After enjoying the open ridge top, I decided to head more north back down towards the road, and found the going to be much, much more pleasant.  I found no mountain laurel here, and even noticed a couple of on again-off again herd paths.  What a difference!
 Once back down on Mount Everett Road, it was a nice and easy road walk back to the car. 
A short little fun adventure on yet another unseasonably mild late winter day.
Today's route.             Red=Ascent        Blue=Descent

2 comments:

  1. I was just looking at possibly going to the bump to the east the other week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was eyeballing that bump too. Looks like a lot of open rock..just didn't have enough time so settled on the west ridge.

      Delete