Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2020

Stewarts Ledge to Pilot Knob Ridge(Lake George Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed north for the first time in a little while to hike the Lake George area on a blustery, but sunny, late winter afternoon.  I wanted to not only revisit the spectacular open ridgeline of Pilot Knob Mountain, which is one of my favorite little peaks in the Adks, but also hit Stewarts Ledge and its good cliff views.  My last visit to Pilot Knob was from Echo Bay, so this time I wanted to give it a go from the Buck Mountain parking lot on Pilot Knob Road.  I was stunned to not see one other car at the trailhead when I arrived, but it had been raining most of the day until this point, so perhaps that kept folks away.  From the trailhead, I set out on the trail, which was quite muddy and damp. After about 2/10 of a mile on the trail, I took a right onto an unmarked but well defined herd path that leads towards Stewarts Ledge. After passing by a couple of decent lake views along the way, I arrived at Stewarts Ledge and its wide open views across the lake.  Although sitting at just over 500 feet in elevation, the views are quite broad from this open spot. 
After enjoying the nice views(with little effort), I decided to bushwhack over to the Pilot Knob Ridge herd path.  Not knowing what to expect between the two, I ran into a couple small ravines, partially frozen vernal ponds, and enormous cliff bands that I had to side track around. 
After a couple drops and reclimbs, I soon hit the Pilot Knob herd path, with faded red paint blazes to follow.  The terrain was fairly steep, and covered in fallen pine needles. 
 
The path ranged from easy to follow to seemingly disappearing at times, but for the most part I had no issues.  Nearly all of the mountain was snow and ice free, save some sheltered pockets and a few spots near the top of the ridge.  As I neared 1500 feet, I hit an open meadow just off the herd path.  These were the first expansive lake views of the day, covering a large portion of the lake's southern basin. 
Beyond the open meadow, the herd path winds its way up the steep ridge, with better and better glances down over the lake.
Emerging at one of many wide open view points, I captured this look at the southern end of Lake George.  Skies were clearing and winds were shifting around to the west, battering me on the exposed ridge.
A look up the mostly open ridge.
Although there is a herd path, it is so open that you feel free to roam around soaking in the views without fear of losing the path.
From atop the ridge, views to the north open up above the trees, towards neighboring Buck Mountain(right) and the Tongue Range(distant left)
 
There are almost too many photo ops on this ridge, making it hard to narrow down which ones to include on this page.
West/ NW views towards the many peaks that make up the southern Adks.  The ski slopes on Gore are clearly visible to the right.
To the north, clouds were beginning to roll in ahead of lake effect snow squalls.
South/ SW views stretching down into Saratoga County.
Pilot Knob's summit looming to the south.  I wouldn't be going all the way there today.
Sun soaked Lake George, with the last of the wintry ice vanishing on the lake.
Continued all the way to the last drop before the summit.  Having already been there and due to the late hour, this was my turn around spot.  
I decided to dip into the trees for a little cover from the battering winds.  It didn't provide a lot of protection, but did help. 
Heading back with skies darkening a bit.
Was glad to finally get back down into the woods, descending steadily off the ridge and back down towards the Inman Pond Trail.  Just prior to hitting the marked trail I found this pretty cascade draining the slopes above. 
Hiked about 5.6 miles RT with nearly 2100 feet of ascent.  One of the most photogenic hikes in the Adk's in my opinion. Side note-I picked two ticks off my pants at the end of the day.  Yes, spring is in full swing.
Blue X=Stewart's Ledge     Red X=Pilot Knob Ridge

No comments:

Post a Comment