Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2022

Dugway Mountain Ledges(Silver Lake Wilderness-Adirondacks)

Did a little off trail exploring on Dugway Mountain's lower slopes in the remote Silver Lake Wilderness on a warm and delightful spring day.  To get started I parked in a DEC pull off  on West River Road(Elevation 1300 feet) along the north banks of the West Branch of the Sacanadaga River near Wells.  Crossing the road, I began my bushwhack through open woods, quickly gaining elevation and crossing over a couple of small but pretty drainages.

Spring is coming...even in the southern Adirondacks, where wildflowers are starting to bloom.  Unfortunately, the negative side of spring also is beginning to rear its ugly head.....bugs!  They were just a minor annoyance today, but that will only get worse.
The woods were mostly deciduous and open, with several lumpy, rock filled slopes to contend with as well. 
To get to the open ledges I was aiming for, I had to climb west over the slopes of two minor ridges.  These ridges ended up being quite nice, with grassy, open terrain.

Once at about 2200 feet, I contoured over to the next ridge and the open area I was shooting for, where I struck gold.  Wide open views opened up to the south/ southwest towards Three Ponds and Sugarloaf Mountains.

From a slightly different vantage point in the same clearing looking south/ southeast towards Vly Mountain.

A second, smaller patch of open rock about a hundred feet or so lower offers up similar views to the SW.

After enjoying the views, I began to descend SE when I found a good seasonal view east towards Finch Mountain, which also has good views itself.

Beginning a steep descent through open woods.

For the rest of the route down, I basically contoured east on the lower slopes of the mountain, making my way uneventfully back to car.  A very nice 3.8 miles RT, with just under 1100 feet of total ascent.

Map Below.  Blue P=Parking      Red=Bushwhack Route



 

4 comments:

  1. Those are some awesome views! I've poked around Dugway a little bit in the past, but never thought to look for views. I guess I'll have to go back. I do remember it being very rugged country with lots of boulders and ankle busters. Maybe I try it on snowshoes next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a bit rugged back there but nothing too bad. Snowshoe hike would be amazing up there!!

      Delete
  2. Nice views! That's a great area up there and it doesn't get too crowded...You are brave, hiking in May! Even with my head net it can be miserable in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I'm crazy...but in all honesty the bugs aren't too bad yet. Gotta take advantage before they get worse!!!

      Delete