Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Mud Lake South Ridge aka Big Oak Hill(Shaker Mountain Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed into the southern Adirondacks to do a short trail/ bushwhack hike to a small peak just off the Northville-Placid Trail near Mud Lake.  Several years ago I had visited the ridge just north of Mud Lake and found many good lookouts, but today I wanted to visit the ridge just south of Mud Lake to see if I could views.  Parked at the NPT trailhead off Collins-Gifford Valley Road(Elevation 885 feet) and was surprisingly the only car there when I arrived on a pleasantly cool spring morning.

The trail utilizes frequent switchbacks as it climbs steadily west, but is well marked and easy to follow.  After about 1.5 miles of hiking, at a height of land, I left the trail and began my bushwhack through open hardwoods on my way up to the top of the south ridge. 
Arriving at the wooded 1750 foot summit.
From the summit, a straightforward drop to the SW brings you to a wide open clearing with good views to the south and west.  To the south, a corner of the Great Sacandaga Lake can be seen from here, as well as the neighboring unnamed ridge across from Warner Hill Road.
To the west, the rolling hills along the Fulton County/ Hamilty County line.
A nice spot to soak in the views to the west, and thankfully, the bugs weren't too bad.
After enjoying the views from the clearing, I continued to descend, but now to the south, soon coming to another open rock view point.  These views are from a steep, south facing open area of rock slab just above private land.
From a different viewpoint near the edge of state land, the view takes in a broader stretch of the Great Sacandaga.
After getting my fill of views, a short bushwhack brought me back to the NPT, and an easy trail hike got me back to the car.

A very nice 3.7 miles RT, with over 1000 feet of ascent.

Map below.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment