Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Sturgis Mountain and Murphy Lake(Wilcox Lake Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed up into the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest Tuesday to do a part trail/ part bushwhack adventure on a picture perfect spring morning.  My goal for the day was to hit a small set of ledges on Sturgis Mountain's west slopes, before heading up and over the summit and then down to picturesque Murphy Lake.  I got started under cool but sunny conditions from the trailhead for the Murphy Lake Trail on Pumpkin Hollow Road(Elevation 1325 feet).

I figured I'd make great time as I headed south/ southeast on the trail, but there was a TON of blowdown in several sections which proved to be a minor hindrance. 

Outside of the deadfall, it was smooth sailing on the marked trail.

Crossing Doig Creek on a footbridge in the early morning light.

Continuing on, the trail soon passes by a large and scenic beaver meadow, with views southeast towards Huckleberry Mountain.

Once I crossed the inlet for the beaver meadow, I left the trail and began my bushwack due south towards Sturgis Mountain's NW slopes.  Along the way, I spotted painted Trillium growing on the forest floor.

A pretty straightforward, and in spots, steep, bushwhack south brought me up to the top of 1729 foot Sturgis Mountain.  Just west off the summit is an open area of ledges with great views west towards Three Ponds Mountain.

SW views with a corner of Jerry Vly down in the foreground.  The ridge in the center is that of Scribner and Round Top.

A bit of a broader view SW from a slightly different vantage point on the open ledges.


From the cliffs, a small descent east is followed by a steady but easy climb up for a little over half a mile to the 1950 foot high point on the ridge, which sits in a small clearing.

From the high point, I descended east steeply down towards Murphy Lake with filtered views all around.

After some steep descending, the slopes eased up considerably as I made my way down to Murphy Lake's shoreline and the marked trail.

Circling around Murphy Lake's west shore on a gorgeous spring morning.

Although it wasn't in my original plan, the cliffs on Huckleberry Mountain are simply too darn close to not pay a visit to, so I scrambled up to the lower cliffs.  From there I enjoyed a nice view back at Sturgis Mountain, where I had just been.

The prized view from the cliffs is the view out over Murphy Lake. Although I had been here before, it's a great place to revisit.

From the cliffs I carefully made my way back down the same route to the lake and then followed the trail back towards the car.  Heading back north, on the trail, crossing over Doig Creek once again.

I took my time enjoying the beautiful conditions for the hike out on the trail, and shockingly didn't see another person all day.  Hiked about 7.5 miles RT, with 1400 feet of ascent. 

Map featured below.  Blue P=Parking    Blue X=High Point  Black X=summit ledges




2 comments:

  1. Another one of my "happy places". Pumpkin Hollow had a mighty wind a couple weeks ago and tons of big pines came down in the area. I'm not surprised to see the trail trashed with blowdown.

    Huckleberry views are delicious and Sturgis is a pleasant surprise. Easy climb for both. Thanks for reporting on these, they just moved up my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I gotta say I love that area back in there. So much to see and none of it is too challenging. Off most people's radar too!!

      Delete