Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

White Rock Bushwhack from Route 2(Taconics)

I have been eyeballing the Taconic Ridge that straddles the NY/ Mass/ Vermont border for a long time, seeking new and interesting ways to explore this area.  I decided to explore a very popular section of the Taconic Crest Trail near the Snow Hole, but from a different direction than the usual way.  Heading up Route 2 from the west about a mile prior to arriving at Petersburg Pass, state land provides access to the ridge from a small pull off near a pair of streams draining the steep slopes from above.  This would be my starting point for the day, at an elevation just under 1600 feet.  I threw my spikes in my bag and left the snowshoes behind, as there was only a light cover of snow in the woods.
Within moments of entering the woods and steeply climbing up through hardwoods, I hit a good woods road. 
The woods road climbed steadily east, switching back several times to ease the ascent.  Through the bare winter trees, I could already enjoy filtered views below.
Several different woods roads broke off the one I was on, so I just decided to simply bushwhack straight up the steep terrain. 
As I climbed up and over 2000 feet, I began to encounter a large section of beech, with my first decent views south towards Mount Raimer opening up.
Continuing up the steep slopes, the woods remained inviting and open, with views of the main ridge of 2550 foot White Rock looming above.
As I hit the ridge, I was shocked to see the woods open up into an enormous meadow.
The open "meadow" appeared to be a large area that had been logged and was now covered in prickers and low brush.
Within moments of hitting the ridge, I began to see the familiar blue and white trail markers for the Taconic Crest Trail.  A coating of snow covered all previous footprints as I made my way north along the trail. 
The approach to White Rock is quite nice, as the trail passes by three good view points, each successively getting better.  A coating of snow only enhanced the experience. 
From the third and final view spot, just before the summit, is the best view of all.  Route 2 can easily be seen snaking its way up to Petersburg Pass with Mount Raimer rising above the right.  In the distance, the wind turbines on Brodie Mountain can be seen.
A spectacular view south of the Taconic ridge, encompassing the Mount Raimer-Berlin Mountain area.
A south/ southwest view with the Catskills visible way off on the horizon.
The view west towards the rolling topography of the Rensselaer Plateau.
One last look back at the view spot.  Two thumbs up!
After enjoying the great views on the trail, I headed back south towards the large, cleared area,and decided to turn off trail east, losing some elevation.  As I continued my descent east, I soon encountered another logged area, this one with a view into Williamstown, Massachusetts.  The ridge in the center is East Mountain(Pine Cobble), and to the right is the Greylock Range.
Not far away from the Massachusetts view, slightly north, is yet another logged area, with an extensive view northeast into Pownal, Vermont. 
One of the best parts of hiking in the winter is the chance to see what kind of critters are out moving about and leaving footprints behind.
I continued my bushwhack back up and over the ridge, passing over the Taconic Crest Trail on my way back down the steep west slopes towards Route 2 and my car. 
I soon picked up the drainage from earlier, following it down to a woods road and out to my car.
A fun packed 3.9 miles RT with almost 1100 feet of ascent.
Red=Ascent      Blue=Descent

No comments:

Post a Comment