Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Berlin State Forest-Mattison Hollow(Rensselaer County, NY-Taconics)

After visiting Cowdry Hollow in the northern part of the 678 acre Berlin State Forest earlier this week, I decided to check out the southern section of the State Forest in Mattison Hollow, just west of the Massachusetts state line.  To start my bushwhack, I parked at the very end of Mattison Hollow Road on the shoulder of the road in a small area of state land beside a pretty brook.  Elevation to start the hike was just a touch over 1300 feet and there was a chill in the air, with temperatures hovering in the upper 30's. 
An easy rock hop across the brook brought me up into a wide open hardwood forest, heading north.  Through the trees to the south, the southern ridge above Mattison Hollow could be seen, in a coating of white.
The woods were remarkably wide open, as I made an easy ascent up through hardwoods.  As I climbed up over 1700 feet, a solid coating of snow covered the ground.
Once I hit the ridge above 1800 feet, the ascent eased up and it was pleasant hiking through about an inch of snow.
While I enjoyed some filtered views to the north and west, the view south back down over Mattison Hollow was even better, although still just a tease.
South view towards some of the multiple east ridges that come off Misery Mountain.
As I continued east, gradually gaining elevation on the ridge, I made my way towards both sides of the ridge.  The slopes looked steep and open on the north side, so I decided to check it out.  This proved to be a good move, as I found my first unimpeded view through a small window of downed trees.
NW view over Browns Hollow and the Rensselaer Plateau west of Route 22 in Berlin.
The north side of the ridge was almost park like, through an open meadow, covered in snow.
As I continued my ascent, the snow got a bit deeper, clinging to all the trees as well.  I hugged the steeps on both sides in hope of a good view, with about 3 inches of snow underfoot.
North view through a small window towards Berlin Mountain and its ridges.
Suddenly, almost out of nowhere, the sun emerged and the woods lit up.
A framed view north towards Misery Mountain's long ridge and multiple summits.
Clearing skies and 3 to 4 inches of snow gave the appearance of mid February instead of mid April.
A large, open meadow sits just off the top of a 2250 foot high point on the ridge.
Hugging the north/ NW facing slopes I managed to find a few breaks in the trees, where seasons seem to clash.  Green in the valley and snow up high.
Skies only continued to clear as I continued along, with many views such as this, facing north.
While I didn't find any wide open, 180 degree views, I found many decent views like this.
NW views up SE Hollow and Comstock Hollow. 
Easy bushwhacking along the ridge heading east to the next high point.  This is one of the multiple west ridges that come off Misery Mountain.
Filtered valley views down into Southeast Hollow in Berlin.  Houses along SE Hollow Road can clearly be made out from here, over 1000 feet below.
The view north towards the Taconic Ridge near the 2360 foot highest point on the ridge walk.
After hitting the nondescript high spot, I headed directly south down off the ridge, losing elevation quickly.  Back down at the bottom I found a good woods road, that headed west through a dark hemlock forest.
Crossing over beautiful Kronk Brook on my way back to the car.
Picked up an old extension of Mattison Hollow Road west, which follows a thin sliver of state land near Kronk Brook back to the car.  A total of 5.5 miles RT, with 1700 feet of ascent.

2 comments:

  1. Nice excursion. You've done a man's job, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What an awesome little area that was only enhanced by the spring snow!

      Delete