Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Twin Ponds-Taconic Crest Trail(Berkshires/ Taconics)

Although the calendar has turned to May, winter decided to pay us a bit of visit last night and today.  I don't generally mind snow, but on May 9th!!??  May 9th??!! Average high temperatures are in the upper 60s, but today we barely got out of the 30's(and even lower in the mountains)...and add to that, strong NW winds gusting over 40 mph and it felt more like mid winter than mid spring.  So, of course once I got out of work this afternoon I decided to head straight up to the Taconics straddling the New York/ Mass state line to check it all out.  I parked at the southern end of the Taconic Crest Trail off of Route 20 in Hancock and set out at an elevation of 1480 feet, where the snow was still clinging to the trees and grassy areas.
As I headed north on the Taconic Crest Trail, sunny skies and snow squalls were taking turns as brisk NW winds added a biting chill to the air.
Gentle reminders of spring popped up here and there as the wind chills and snow did their best to obliterate those thoughts.
Unfortunately there are no grand vistas from this section of the Taconics, but there are many good screened views down into the Lebanon valley on the NY side of the state line.
I only saw one other hiker on this remarkably wintry May day, a hiker that follows my blog.  I'd like to give a nice shout out to Ned!  It was nice to meet you and I hope you enjoyed the hike!
After just over one mile in I left the Taconic Crest Trail and picked up the nearby Taconic Skyline Trail(used by ATV's).  Within just a couple minutes I arrived at Cranberry Pond, a small but pretty pond that sits at an elevation over 1800 feet.
I continued north on the Skyline Trail before a short bushwhack brought me to South Twin Pond, the larger of the two "twins".  I found a nice little fire pit in a clearing on the shore that would make a great campsite.
A very short bushwhack downhill brought me to North Twin Pond.  I explored the whole shoreline around the pond, checking things out, and did find a rough firepit on the steep east hillside.  On the NW side of the pond is where the Taconic Crest Trail passes by. 
The ponds are actually easily navigable and fun to explore.  This is the crossing over the inlet of North Twin Pond, which drains directly down from South Twin.
Suddenly, almost out of nowhere, the skies cleared out and the sun came bursting through.  Back up on the shores of South Twin Pond, the scene was absolutely spectacular.
Blue skies made for a memorable backdrop as I circled my way back around South Twin. 
Returning on the Taconic Skyline Trail, which due to the ATV traffic is much more muddy and rutted but still makes for nice hiking.
Pit stop back at Cranberry Pond, now bathed in sunlight.
Leaving Cranberry Pond behind as yet another snow squall briefly moved in.
Wandering south on the Skyline Trail, on my way back to the Taconic Crest Trail and my car.
By the time I arrived back down at the parking area, the snow was already melting-with temps only in the low to mid 30s!!!  The snow was a nice surprise, but it was sure nice seeing green grass again!  A nice and easy 3.6 mile saunter in the woods.
Today's Route.

2 comments:

  1. Snow, sunshine, and a Ned sighting. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great running into you! I thought our paths might cross someday due to all of the hiking we do...That sure was a crazy May day! At the shores of the ponds was like a microclimate with slightly warmer temps and little wind. Then when you went up in elevation in any direction, winter's fury struck! A great day in the woods. Ned

    ReplyDelete