Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2021

Perry's Peak(Berkshires/ Taconics)

Happy belated New Year everyone!  It has been a long, frustrating last few weeks to say the least!!  My wife and I each tested positive for Covid-19 back in mid December and were forced to quarantine, meaning the holidays looked much different for us this year.  We are both feeling great now and are happy to be out and about once again.  Headed east over the state line into Richmond, Massachusetts this morning to hike Perry's Peak via the Berkshire Natural Resources Council's Hollow Fields trails.

I was the first car in the lot today following last nights snowfall.  A light inch or two of snow coated everything white, making for a lovely wintry scene as I set out, elevation 1370 feet at the trailhead. 

The trails at Hollow Fields make for a very scenic walk through wide open meadows with great east and southeast facing views.  Early morning fog can be seen burning off near Mahanna Cobble, with the power line cut going up a corner of Sykes Mountain in the distance.
A bench makes for a pleasant spot to stop and enjoy the view towards the Lenox Mountain ridge line.

While I may have been the only hiker on the trail so far, a lone coyote had laid down the first footprints in the snow before me.  Tracking all of the animal movements is always a fun part of winter hiking. 

At a junction in the trail system, I turned left(east), entering the woods, crossing over snowy Sleepy Hollow Brook.

There's just something beautiful about a small brook winding through a snow covered forest. 
The trail crosses the brook, then commences a gradual climb up through an open hardwood forest along an old woods road.
At a clearing just over 1900 feet, there is a very nice view SE towards Maple Hill and West Stockbridge Mountain.
A zoom view from the clearing towards the misty ridgeline.
Near the view point, via a small, informal path, I found a small cross for a Scott Crawford.  Not sure who this is, but still a nice memorial.
Continuing on towards the main summit, I soon crossed over a tiny stream, which is actually the headwaters of Sleepy Hollow Brook.
 

Just prior to hitting the true summit, there is a large clearing that makes for a nice visit, although there are no views to be had.
Just a few yards beyond the false summit, I arrived at the 2070 foot true summit.  Unfortunately, there are no views from here either.
I did a little exploring around the summit area, taking in the untouched beauty of the fresh snowfall.
After leaving the summit area, I began a nice and easy descent on a wide woods road, passing by an old posted sign along the way.

The wide, easy to follow trail passes through open hardwoods, slowly descending south.
From an open meadow at just over 1700 feet, I caught yet another nice view to the SE.

Something so peaceful about a fresh snow.  It seemingly turns the woods into a safe haven from a cruel and bitter world. 

Heading down through the snowy woods, back towards the open fields, and eventually the car. 

As I arrived back at the car, a second car pulled in to take my place.  The only other person I saw all morning!  Hiked 4 miles RT, with 850 feet of climbing.

Rough route below, tracks in red. 




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're OK, I was worried! I agree, there's something about a stream winding through a snowy landscape, it's mesmerizing...Looks like another place I didn't know about that I'll have to explore; thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ned. It's nice to be back out in the woods. Gotta admit I was starting to go a little stir crazy!! My wife was pretty sick for a while so we had to be very careful coming out of quarantine. Hope you get a chance to check out Hollow Fields...I think you'll enjoy it!!

      Delete