Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Mohawk River State Park & Lock 7(Town of Niskayuna, Scenectady County)

Took advantage of a small window of free time today to do a little exploring at the Mohawk River State Park near the south shore of the Mohawk River in the town of Niskayuna.  This trail system is quite intricate and lies in the middle of a busy suburban area but still seems to be underused. I parked at the end of Whitmyer Road at the unmarked trailhead near the gate for the Niskayuna Wastewater Plant and following this morning's steady rain, I was assured to have the woods to myself.

Crossing a pretty, babbling brook.

The trails were very wet and muddy, but had them to myself.

 

After a bit of wandering in the woods, I emerged out on the bike path near Lock7 Park.

Mohawk River near Lock 7 with light rain falling.

Looking back at the Lock 7 buildings.

An old blind near a small bay on the river.

Spring wildflowers abound.

Left the river and headed back into the woods but as I made my along the powerlines, more rain began to fall, chasing me back to the car.
A nice and easy 2.5 miles total. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Fun network of trails right in the middle of the suburban workers paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really is! I'm always surprised by how many people that have no idea these trails exist in the woods right next to the bike path.

      Delete