Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2026

Snow Mountain & Eastern Knob of Spruce Mountain(Wilcox Lake Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Finally got up to the Adirondacks to do some exploring to a couple of obscure peaks in a quiet little pocket in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.  Parked along the east shoulder of Lens Lake Road(Elevation 1673 feet), where the first NY DEC sign is located and headed east into the woods, quickly picking up an unmarked but obvious unofficial trail.

Just about 1/10 of mile  from the road is a very nice footbridge crossing over the Roaring Branch.  

The trail is wide and very easy to follow, and appears to receive routine maintenance. 
After about 8/10 of a mile, the trail forks, and red discs mark the way up towards Snow Mountain.
Approaching Snow Mountain's cliffs.
Snow Mountain's cliffs offer some very nice views, with this view south to neighboring Spruce Mountain.
West views across Lens Lake Road towards Slip, Tenant, Wheeler and Thompson Mountains.

Continuing above the ledges, I found one more partial view a little higher up, similar to the lower ledges.

The unofficial trail ends at rock cairn in a clearing.  This is not the summit, however.  
I continued on, off trail heading south towards the summit, through open hardwoods.
Snow Mountain's 2410 foot true summit sits in a very large, meadow like area.
From the summit, I bushwhacked steeply south through some ledge bands, soon arriving at an extensive marsh area.  Hints of autumn color were starting to show, especially around this particular area.
Making my way around the marsh, with a view back north at Snow Mountain, where I had just been.
From the marsh, I continued my bushwhack south, weaving my way up the Spruce Mountain's east knob .
Instead of heading straight up to the top of the knob, I first visited an impressive set of south facing ledges around 2200 feet.  Here's a view SE towards Hadley Mountain.  A keen eye can even pick out the fire tower atop the mountain.
From the same ledges, a stunning south facing vista unfolds, stretching all the way down to the Great Sacandaga Lake.
Immediately to the SW, is Spruce Mountain's ridge line, rising above.
From a slightly higher ledge, a broader but similar view south.
After enjoying the views, it was an uneventful bushwhack up and over the wooded east knob of Spruce Mountain(Elevation 2440 feet), continuing north until I met up with the unofficial trail on Spruce Mountain proper.  
A nice, easy walk back on the trail brought me back to my car on Lens Lake Road.  Covered a touch over 5 miles RT, with nearly 1200 feet of combined ascent.  
Map below.   Blue P=Parking.   Blue Circle=Ledges on Snow Mountain     Blue Star=Ledges on SE Spruce Mountain









1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great trail with great views! I love the less popular hikes like this one; makes me feel like the place is all mine!

    ReplyDelete