Search This Blog

Monday, June 26, 2017

Grafton Forest Lookout

On my way home from Vermont today I decided to pay a visit to the Rensselaer Plateau Alliance's brand new trail in the Grafton Forest.  The trailhead is found at the very end of Stuffle Street, which is a good road until the last mile, where it becomes very rough.  I took my time and was very careful and made it(even with my low clearance vehicle).
 The Valley View Trail follows a muddy woods road for a half mile on its way to the lookout.
 Arriving at the lookout spot.
 A couple of large rocks are found at the lookout, which provides an outstanding view north over the Tomhannock Reservoir.
 A storm began rolling in over the Reservoir.
 Heavy rain moving in over Bald Mountain's radio towers.
 The clouds began to creep across the valley right towards me.
 I noticed some updraft coming my way...and the winds began to really pick up.
 Too close for comfort!  I turned around and high tailed it back to the car after this shot, running with the strong winds and raindrops all around me.
Great views for little effort.  The hardest part of this hike is driving to the trailhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment