Search This Blog

Friday, October 6, 2017

Black Rock & Mount Undine(Southern Berkshires)

Did a short hike/bushwhack after work this afternoon down in the southern Berkshires on a comfortable fall day.  Headed to the Berkshire School in the town of Sheffield off of Route 41 and drove past all of the academic buildings to the northwest end of the campus at the trailhead.  Headed past a large trail map and picked up the blue blazed Elbow Trail before quickly leaving it, heading north on the Black Rock Trail.  Elevation to start the day was only 860 feet.  Just after leaving the Elbow Trail, I crossed over a dried up stream bed on a well built foot bridge, maintained by the School.
 From the footbridge, looking southeast at the dry creek bed.
 The trail quickly gains elevation, heading up towards Black Rock, a large rocky ledge that protrudes eastward off Mount Bushnell's southeast ridge.
The foliage is really starting to pick up the last few days, although still very sporadic.  I spotted this red maple on the steep slopes just below Black Rock.
 Emerging at the ledges on Black Rock, with nearly 180 degree views. Here's a view southeast over the Berkshire School campus.
 A view south at the east ridge off Mount Everett.  I noticed on the trail map that there is a spot called "South Pinnacle" along this ridge, and I'd like to get over there to check that out sometime. 
 The view west at the Mount Everett ridge line is very impressive from these cliffs. 
 A zoom towards the Mount Everett ridge towards Mount Undine.
 I left the trail and continued off trail west along the ridge, hugging the steep north slopes, where occasional views opened up through the trees.  I did manage to spot a couple of more open ledges, with broader north facing views.

Open views to the northeast.
 Zoom view of Spurr Lake and its environs.
  Another ledge along the north side of the ridge.
As I made my way up the ridge, I noticed that skies began clearing to the north, providing a better view of the surrounding countryside and distant peaks.
The woods changed drastically once I left the steep ledges, picking up the main ridge.
 Clearing skies from a peek a boo much further up the ridge.
 Eventually picked up the Appalachian Trail after about 1000 feet of climbing from the trailhead.  With fleeting daylight, I decided to turn left(south) heading towards Mount Undine, a 2195 foot sub peak of Mount Everett.  At about 1950 feet in elevation I left the trail and began a short but .2 of a mile bushwhack up to Mount Undine's summit.
 The wooded summit.
 Pushed through some mountain laurel towards the north side of the summit, arriving in a nice clearing.
From the clearing I found some decent views.  I'm sure these would be much better when the leaves are off the trees.
I dropped steeply off the summit back towards the Appalachian Trail, which quickly meets up with the Elbow Trail.  I followed the Elbow Trail down 1.5 miles back down to the car, dropping 900 feet over that distance.
Hiked about 4.5 miles RT with nearly 1300 feet elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment