Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

Mohawk River State Park(Niskayuna)

After leaving the brand new Fox Preserve, I drove just a little further west into Niskayuna to explore the varied trails located at the Mohawk River State Park.  There are several different access points, none very clearly marked, but I would start today from the very end of Whitmyer Drive, just before the gate for the Niskayuna Wastewater Treatment facility.  The only thing marking the beginning of the trail, were fake flowers and an obvious foot trail heading south.
 A small foot bridge crosses a tiny tributary.
 The trail I followed skirts the Wastewater Treatment facility, on its way back north towards the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path.
 A much larger foot bridge crosses an unnamed stream that empties into the Mohawk River near Lock 7.
 The stream was low on water but unfortunately had picked up human scraps.
 The steep banks above the stream.
 Further downstream, the stream is nearly completely dry, chock filled with rocks.
Climbing up one of the steep, skinny bluffs.
 From the top of one of the bluffs, I could see the tree tops below but not much else.
 Dropping down to a Power Line crossing, with a view down towards the river and Lock 7 Road.
The trail I was on eventually dropped me down onto the Moahwk Hudson Bike Path near Lock 7.  I meandered along to an unmarked path out to the river's shoreline.
 From the tiny peninsula I was on, I could not only see the river, but Lock 7's buildings.
A little further along is another small foot trail that leaves the bike path and offers up much broader river views to the west.
 A zoom look  towards the northern shoreline.
 A lively area of the river in the shallows, where I spotted several herons and ducks out and about.
 Recent heavy rains have really raised up the Mohawk's water levels, as evidenced in this photo.
 I followed the Bike Path north, before re-entering the woods on the Shaker Gorge trail. For such a pleasant fall day, I was quite surprised to see how quiet the bike trail seemed to be today.
 The Shaker Gorge Trail is an impressive trail that literally climbs steeply up beside a deep cut gorge cut out by a large drainage.
The Shaker Gorge Trail eventually heads all the way back to Whitmyer Road, where my car was parked.  I cannot stress enough that there are many, many trails that wind their way through these woods so please be vigilant and pay attention to where you are going.  Some of the trails have random markings, while others are simply unmarked foot paths.  No matter which route you choose, the woods are very pleasant, and you will probably enjoy a very nice walk in a suburban setting.  I hiked about 2.8 miles total here and 4 RT for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment