Search This Blog

Monday, October 16, 2017

Dry Brook Ridge(Catskills)

Headed down to the Western Catskills to hike another Catskill Hundred Highest peak on a dreary, cool and breezy morning.  I originally had planned to hike up from the state access on Ploutz Road, but my car simply couldn't make it up the old, unmaintained portion of the road.  So, I headed over to the Hill Road access, just southeast of Margaretville to hike from there.  Along the way, I did one of my favorite things...drive Catskill backroads.
A small pull out on the south side of Hill Road with room for 2-3 cars was my starting point.  The trail to Dry Brook Ridge is on the north side of the road near a trail register.  Elevation at the trailhead was a little under 1900 feet.
The ascent up Hill Road was steady but not overly steep, gaining over 1200 feet in 2.3 miles.  The dreary, overcast conditions made for an eerie hike.
The trail passes directly though a gorgeous stand of Norway Spruce.
Just off the trail a few yards, I spotted an old foundation.  Always fascinating to see these reminders of the past.
Classic Catskill sandstone. 
The foliage is moving along quite quickly, with many leaves already fallen and scattered on the ground.
This sign had me "cracking" up.  Once on the ridge, the trail stayed above 3100 feet the whole time.
A classic Catskill stair step. 
I continued southeast along the ridge, with occasional views through the trees teasing, until I popped out to a wide open ledge. 
The ledge views to the southwest.
Cold Spring Valley below.
Here is a view of the ridge, which stretches just south of the summit.  Some color is still hanging on.
The trail skirts a very steep drop off near the final stretch below the summit.
I bushwhacked a short tenth of a mile off the trail to hit the nondescript true 3460 foot summit. 
I dropped back down to the trail, just below the summit, which provides a spectacular view directly down on the valley of Cold Spring Hollow.
Even on a dreary morning, the views are very, very nice.
I decided to turn back at the second view point, heading back along the ridge.
High up on the ridge, and only a few yards off the trail, I came across this oddity.  A small wetland meadow well over 3100 feet.
Dropping back down the Hill Road trail, with the steep woods above.
Hiked about 8.5 miles RT, with over 1600 feet elevation gain.  73/102 Catskill Hundred Highest.

No comments:

Post a Comment