Search This Blog

Friday, October 9, 2020

Hewitt Pond Mountain(Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

With perfect fall weather in the forecast today, I headed north to tackle 2454 foot Hewitt Pond Mountain, a trail-less peak in the heart of the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest.  From what I could see, it looked like there was a nice area of open rock near the summit, that looked like it would provide good views.  I parked at the trailhead for Linsey Marsh on the shoulder of Route 28N, elevation 1640 feet.  It was a pretty cold start to the day, with my car reading 27 degrees as I set out. 

After only about 1/10 of a mile I left the trail, heading up through the open spruce forest, with the early morning sun doing its best to warm things up.  To get to the Hewitt Pond Mountain, I had to either hike up or around an unammed peak in between.  I decided to head up.
A fairly easy 'whack brought me up to an unnamed 2100 foot open, fern filled summit meadow.
Descending off the first peak through wide open hardwoods.  If only all bushwhacking was this nice!
Heading NE, in between peaks.
At the foot of the Hewitt Pond Mountain, my GPS said I had nearly 600 feet to go in under 4/10 of a mile, meaning it would be steep.  What I didn't know, however, was that there is a well trodden(and seemingly maintained) trail blazed with old metal trail markers.  This made the steep ascent up through the spruce a virtual cake walk.  It continued all the way up the mountain!
The 2454 foot summit sat just off trail and was fully wooded, marked with a pink ribbon and pile of rocks(not even built as a cairn).
A short descent SW beyond the summit, is a wide open, spectacular view point.  From the open rock vantage point you are looking directly south over Hewitt Pond.  Wow, what a sweet spot!
The view stretches SW, encompassing many of the peaks in the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest, as well as the Hudson Gorge Wilderness.
After finally clawing myself away from the views, I retraced the trail back up the summit and then off the mountain, picking up the bushwhack once again where the trail headed towards Hewitt Pond.  The route back was truly delightful, through colorful autumn woods.

The "trail" on the mountain really sped this hike up, as I arrived back at the car much earlier than anticipated.  Hiked about 5 miles RT with over 1600 feet of elevation gain.  Most of the hike was a true bushwhack, except Hewitt Pond Mountain itself.

Red=Ascent     Blue=Descent


 

No comments:

Post a Comment