Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2020

"Bedell Mountain"(Delaware County-Catskills)

There are countless small mountains and hills in the western Catskills, but most don't have public access all the way to the top of the peak, if at all.  One of the "small" peaks that does offer the ambitious explorer the chance to hike all the way to the top via NYC DEP land is "Bedell Mountain", a 2500 foot peak that sits just north of Hog Mountain and just east of Halcottsville.  On the USGS map there is no name for this peak, but it is unofficially referred to as Bedell due to its proximity to the tiny hamlet of the same name.  I parked in a grassy meadow on the shoulder of Dimmick Mountain Road and headed out, elevation 1825 feet.  Leaving the car, I headed south quickly picking up a rough woods road, which passed through a gorgeous open area of golden fern glades along the way.

The woods road was a bit damp from last night's heavy rain but was actually in pretty good condition for the most part.
DEP land doesn't come all the way down the north ridge, so I had to stay low for a bit before finally making my way up through a steep, dark conifer forest.
The steep ascent up to the ridge proved to be the toughest part of this hike, but was still fairly easy.
Once up on the ridge the woods changed drastically to hardwoods and a bonanza of fall color, as well as a whole lot of stone walls.
I made my way over to the edge of DEP land on the west slopes below the summit, where I found a very nice series of ledges. There were two specific spots that offered great views, but both were just off public land.  The public land, however, does get you close enough to still enjoy the views SW down towards Kelly Corners.
Standing literally at the edge of public access, with open ledge views just yards away.
The great view spot.
A second ledge offers quite a nice view west, but again just off public land. 
I followed the very edge of public land in hopes of more views, but only got through the trees looks at the surrounding peaks.  The entire summit ridge was a real pleasure to explore.
More stone walls on the summit ridge. 
A perfect, cool autumn day in the woods.
The summit is basically a "you pick it" spot in the middle of a fairly large plateau area.  I wandered around a bit and settled on this spot as the summit, not seeing another area any higher.
Descended basically the same route that I had come up, taking my time to enjoy the day. My rough route is below.  3.5 miles RT with 900 feet of ascent.  Red=Ascent   Blue=Descent


 



 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this blog post! I live on the side of this mountain, so I was pretty surprised and happy to see this post. (All the posts on your blog are great and useful trip planning.) Question: how do you learn about the (unofficial) names of all these smaller Delaware County peaks? There are several others I'm curious about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, glad you enjoy the blog!! You are a very lucky person to be able to live in such a breathtaking area!!!! I absolutely love Delaware County. As far as the unofficial mountain names, I learned them from locals, some old time hikers and other peak baggers. I am not sure 100% on the actual credibility of the names so that's why I refer to them as unofficial. I guess the reason I enjoy these areas are that I have always been drawn to the path(or peaks) less traveled. :-)

      Delete