Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2018

Number Seven Mountain(Lake George Wild Forest- Adirondacks)

Perfect weather conditions and a half day of availablity meant that I had the opportunity to hike a peak that has been on my to do list for quite some time now.  On the east side of the Hudson River in the town of Warrensburg, there are a number of small, pretty peaks that offer up spectacular views.  I had heard good things about Number Seven Mountain, which sits at "only" 1750 feet, but has wide reaching views near the summit.  To access this area, I followed River Road north out of Lake Luzerne, continuing alongside the Hudson on the seasonal use area.
There are a number of day use areas along this stretch of the river. No camping is allowed, however.
Another gorgeous day use area along the Hudson.
I parked at the end of the drivable area and set out north, past the gate, on foot along the Buttermilk Road extension.  Elevation was only 620 feet to start.
After about 1.5 miles of fairly benign walking along the old road north, I turned east into the woods. The woods were mostly open spruce and pretty steep.
A steady ascent gained me over 800 feet and got me into more hardwoods.  I stumbled upon this tree, nearly overtaken by fungi.
The SW flank of Number Seven Mountain is covered in park like, open meadows, making for awesome bushwhacking.
As I ascended, the views only got better, stretching NW over the Hudson and all the way towards Crane Mountain.
I was astounded at just how open and lovely this SW flank was.  It stayed this way almost all the way to the summit.
The southwest view with the Hudson snaking along.
Nearing the ledge just below the summit.
The south facing view over Joe Baker Sag.  Huckleberry Mountain can be seen rising to the left.
Unfortunately, the 1750 true summit is wooded with no views.
Heading back off the summit, I was quickly amazed once again at these views.
Over 1100 feet below on the opposite shoreline sits the Stony Creek Ranch.
A zoom view towards the ranch.
Crane Mountain stands proudly to the NW.
West facing view.  I liked this view because it provides a glimpse at just how steep the west side of this peak is.
Such an amazing spot.  The Hudson River hemmed in by the mountains.  Wow.
One more shot SW, before finally descending.
A steep descent, with a couple of tricky spots got me back down to the old road.  From there it was a quiet hike back.  I stopped along the Hudson River to clean up and soak in some of the picture perfect weather.
About 6 miles RT, with over 1200 feet elevation gain.  An outstanding little peak with a lot of bang for the buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment