Search This Blog

Friday, June 1, 2018

Aqueduct Park(Niskayuna)

I have been fighting a slight heel issue all week, so decided to try something nice and easy on a very hot, muggy afternoon.  Settled on Aqueduct Park in the town of Niskayuna, located along the south shore of the Mohawk River, just west of Balltown Road. The parking area for the park is located just beyond The Boat House off of Aqueduct Road.  From the fields here, there is a nice view of the bridge that carries traffic on Route 146 over the Mohawk.
The path is wide and very easy to follow along the old Erie canal alignment.
I made a furry friend along the mowed path.
 Just off the trail, I passed by a large pile of old stone blocks.  Quite possible that they were used as part of the old aqueduct.
A small, almost unnoticeable foot path heads downhill to river views.  This made a good spot to view piers for an old bridge crossing over the Mohawk River.  I believe it was for the Schenectady Railway electric trolley.
The walk was made much more enjoyable due to the number of fragrant wildflowers that lined the pathway.
 The wide path soon comes to a large clearing, and a much smaller, single lane footpath continues on.
 The well trodden foot path quickly arrives at more of the old piers, which are slowly being reclaimed by nature.
 A continuation of the mowed path heads uphill and south back towards the Mohawk-Hudson Bike Path, but I didn't want to go that way. There are also several foot paths that lead into the woods, branching off into different directions, so I ventured in.
 While some of the paths were well defined, others were hard to follow through high summer growth.
 I followed several of the paths quite a way through the woods, but they didn't seem to really lead to anything.  I decided to take a short off trail walk down towards the river.  Unfortunately, the weeds and bugs were absolutely awful through here, but within a couple hundred feet I was at the Mohawk's shoreline.
 Startled a pair of ducks who took off quickly upon my arrival.
 I strolled along the shore, which was lined with debris and mud.
A view upstream to the southwest, with an unnamed island in the distance.
Soon the mud became too thick, so I returned back to the woods, where a series of game paths lead me through spider webs and a past a couple of snakes. 
I finally found a better foot path which lead me back towards the piers.  I came across this stagnant, backwater area of the river in a low spot beside the path.
Suddenly I picked up my original path, which quickly lead me back to the car.  Covered in bug bites and sweat, I was quite happy to see the parking lot.  About 2 miles total.

No comments:

Post a Comment