Search This Blog

Saturday, November 28, 2020

Beartown State Forest(Southern Berkshires)

Headed east to the 12,000 acre Beartown State Forest in the Berkshires after work this afternoon to check out Benedict Pond and a spot along the Appalachian Trail known as "The Ledges".  It's been several years since my last visit here, but I do remember it being quite scenic, so I was looking forward to it.  I drove to the boat launch parking area-which was nearly full-to get started, elevation 1585 feet.  Within moments of stepping out of the car I saw a jogger, several small groups of people walking and the sounds of dogs barking from both directions.  Even though it was a Saturday, I was still quite surprised that it was this busy on an overcast late November day.  I shrugged my shoulders and set out on the Pond Loop Trail, happy to see so many folks out enjoying nature, and stopping at several view spots to take in the water views.

Heading counterclockwise along the Pond Loop, crossing over a small outlet from the SE corner of the pond.
Although the forecast called for clearing skies, the clouds held firm.  The gray skies coupled with a biting wind made the water look about as uninviting as possible..although still quite scenic however.
At a spot where the Pond Loop continues left, I continued right on the Appalachian Trail, crossing a tiny bridge and heading NE.  From here, just off trail maybe 50 yards, sits a sizeable beaver pond and meadow, which I decided to check out.

Back on the familiar white blazes of the Appalachian Trail, it was a steep, rocky ascent up to the area called "The Ledges".  The drop off from here is nearly vertical, offering up splendid south/ southwest facing views.  The summit to the left is nearby Livermore Peak, with Butternut Ski Area just beyond that, and Mount Everett towering above on the horizon.

Turning slightly to the right, taking in more of the ridges to the SW.

 

After enjoying the views, I backtracked towards the steep, rocky ravine I had just climbed up.  From the top of this ravine, an informal path leads north to a large, picturesque beaver pond.  Unfortunately, there were several other people hanging out there so I decided to go off trail around the edges of the beaver pond to check it out.  The mountain laurel along the shore was pretty thick in spots, so I didn't explore too much.  Did catch this unique view from the opposite shore that probably doesn't get much attention.

Got back down off the AT and onto the Pond Loop, continuing all the way around Benedict Pond nearly in the dark as the sun was setting.  Hiked about 2.8 miles RT, with about 300 feet of ascent.


 

2 comments:

  1. Great photos of a beautiful place...Last time I was there I actually saw a bear! Good swimming too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ned! Yeah, it's a beautiful place, lots to explore. I've gotta get back there and check out some of the other areas I haven't been to yet.
      So exciting that you saw a bear! That's always a memorable experience!!!

      Delete