Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2021

Hackensack Mountain(Hackensack Mountain Park and Recreation Area(Adirondacks)

Headed north after work this afternoon to re-visit 1357 foot Hackensack Mountain, a small peak located just off Exit 23 in the town of Warrensburg.  Bluebird skies and comfortable temps in the mid to upper 30's were the recipe for a great day in the woods.  I have climbed this mountain a couple of times before, but it has been a few years, so I thought today would be a perfect chance to go back.  There are two separate trailheads, but I opted to park at the northern access point along the shoulder of Hackensack Ave, elevation 780 feet.  I threw my spikes on because I figured the trail was very well packed down(and it was).  Conditions were perfect, and as hard as it was to believe, I was the only car there.

Bright sunshine shining through a handsome stand of conifers.
Frosty?
After a steady climb up, I soon hit the large clearing near the summit.  Spectacular views can be found here with many photo opportunities.  Here is a NW view towards Crane Mountain. 
The views are simply stunning, stretching nearly 180 degrees.  The streets for Warrensburg lay directly below at your feet, and the Three Sisters(Bald, Middlle, and Pine) rise to the left, with Sugarloaf to the right.

Just past the large clearing and viewpoint is the 1357 foot summit.

Continuing on over the summit, the trail drops just a bit to an informal side path and lower view point just above the hamlet.  This spot is well known as the Flag Pole viewpoint. 

East views along the orange trail.

After a steep drop off the east side of the mountain, I continued on to a yellow marked trail over to a large frozen beaver pond. 
Took a series of trails back to the car.  Was shocked to have the mountain and trails completely to myself!  3 miles RT and over 900 feet of climbing on a picture perfect late winter day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment